Start of the Playoffs

In the North it is...

1) Toronto vs 4) Montreal

This will be the first time since 1979 that the Maple Leafs and Canadiens will play each other in the playoffs. There is a very good rivalry between these two teams. With the way the dynamic duo of Auston Matthews and Mitch Marner have been playing I'm very interested to see that carry over out of the regular season. And good news is that Leafs' goaltender Frederik Andersen is back after an injury that kept him out. The Leafs are in the postseason for a fifth straight season and I'm hoping this is the year they make a deep run. Montreal will be in the postseason for a second straight year. Goaltending from Price and Allen has been great and t will be interesting to see how they along with the other skaters handle the Leafs in this series. 

I'm not the very best at predictions I will tell you that but I'm gonna give it a shot and say that the Leafs will win this series. 

2) Edmonton vs 3) Winnipeg

When we hear Edmonton we think Connor McDavid. It's pretty hard not to and with the season he's had we can only imagine what the playoffs are going to look like.  But just because McDavid is leading the NHL with points and assists doesn't mean that Winnipeg isn't going to give them a run for their money. The Oilers dominated the regular season series against the Jets so we will see what each team has to offer when the Cup is on the line. 

I think that Edmonton will win this series. 

In the East...

1) Pittsburgh vs 4) New York

Not the match up that I predicted, with the Penguins in first and the Islanders in fourth. Both teams are obviously good. Crosby and his top line versus the Mat Barzal show that has been carrying the Islanders all season. 

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that the Islanders are going to win, although my confidence is shaky. 

2) Washington vs 3) Boston

This is the most challenging match up to predict. Boston and Washington are both very physical teams and the physicality only increases when they face each other. Pasternak and Ovechkin, who both were tied for the leagues lead in goals last season. Marchand and Trent Fredric who both have the physical play to battle against Tom Wilson. This match up is entirely 50/50.

But if I have to predict a team I'm going to go strong and say the Bruins are going to win. 

In the Central...

1) Carolina vs 4) Nashville

Nashville battled their way in and Carolina stood outstanding at the top. Svechnikov, Hamilton, Aho, the talent for the Canes is endless. But the Preds know how to battle and fight for wins. They did so late in the season against the Canes. 

I'm going with the Canes all the way.

2) Florida vs 3)Tampa Bay

Tampa Bay is getting back Kucherov and Stamkos making them just a hair under the Cup winning team they were last season. They've added players to deepen their roster such as David Savard. But Florida is hungry. They have been battling at the top with Carolina all season long. Barkov has made a big impression this season. 

For some reason I can't imagine Tampa Bay winning. We haven't seem them with a full roster including 86 and 91 so I can't say for sure. I'm going to go with Florida for this one.

In the West...

The West took right up until the very last game to determine which teams were going to be in which spots. It took every game for Vegas and Colorado to clinch the top of the division. 

So it will be 1) Colorado vs 4) St Louis.

Colorado is going to go deep in the playoffs. Their top line and their goalie is just unbelievable and St. Louis has struggled a little bit this season. 

I predict Colorado to win.

2) Vegas vs 3) Minnesota

Vegas has made it a point to do damage and make progress each year since they have been in the league. After making it to the final in their first year and losing to Washington they are hungry. But Minnesota has Kaprisov. I think that this machup is going to be pretty interesting.

As far as picking a team however. I'm going to say Vegas.