Trade Alert

Ryan Graves was one I thought the Avalanche were going to keep protected in the expansion draft. Now come to find out Graves didn't even get the chance to be on the list. I never thought he would be one to leave Colorado. I was sure the Avalanche were afraid of losing him. But hey, this season has been full of surprises. On the other end I think that having Graves is going to be a HUGE help for the Devils. He is the perfect leftie even in a team full of leftie defensemen. Do I think he'll end up on the top pair with Damon Severson? No, that's Ty Smith's spot. But he could be the perfect leftie for Subban or Tennyson, if both stay of course. Personally I'm excited to see Graves play with the Devils team. Although he's only 26 he will be seen as one of the veteran players on the team. He brings a size, physicality, and ability to strongly defend even in the toughest of situations. He will be a great role model to young defensemen and will really fit the mold of what the Devils are trying to do with a young core. And Graves isn't even old.

He adds so much needed depth to the blue line. When looking at it you only really saw Severson and Smith. Yet Smith was still just a rookie. The Devils defense lacked this past season and had some stretches where it needed to be a lot better. Graves can improve the blue line with his physicality and eye for the ice. The Devils got a huge win with this.

On the hand of the Avs, Maltsev will be a great young winger to fit in on any one of the three bottom lines. Mainly because their top line is pretty much set in stone (pending what happens with Landeskog and other free agents).
I was only partially sad to see Maltsev go but I am overall happy with the trade and I think this is one that will benefit both teams very much.