Predicting the Playoffs: North Division

The Scotia North division is made of the Maple Leafs, Jets, Oilers, Canadiens, Flames, Canucks, and Senators. Toronto has 60 points. Winnipeg has 53. Edmonton has 52. Montreal has 45. Calgary has 39. Vancouver has 35. And Ottawa has 32. This division is made up of seven teams rather than eight like the other three have. 

Toronto can not only be described as a favorite for the playoffs, they are a contender for the Cup. It's obvious that the Leafs have one of the best duo's in the league. Yeah I'm talking about the guy who is leading the NHL in goals and his right hand man. Auston Matthews and Mitch Marner. With most of Matthew's goals, the assist was from Marner. And the other way goes the same, Matthews to many of Marner's goals. The talent of players extends further than just in the top line. Toronto's goaltending has been enriched with the addition of goalie David Rittich. Jack Campbell set a record with 11 consecutive wins to start a season. Although its concerning that number one goalie Frederik Anderson has been out with a lower body injury since March 19, I think the Leafs are going to hold out their number 1 spot. 

The Jets have Connor Hellebuyck. He won the Vezina trophy in 2019-20 and is a contestant to win it again this season. He's a strong goalie who has no doubt helped his team reach their second place. The Jets have also recently added defensemen Jordie Benn from Vancouver. The Jets have a very talented front with Kyle Connor, Nikolaj Ehlers, and the list goes on. There really isn't much to get into on a great hockey team battling for first place.

The opposite is true for the Vancouver Canucks. There is plenty to mention. They have been struggling this season, after going as far as they did in the playoffs back August. But what is important now is that they have had seven games postponed after having 22 players and 4 staff members placed on the protocol list. Today the team had 10 players skate today after being paused for 11 days. So the question is, with games in hand will they be able to take the fourth playoff spot?  They have 19 games left to play and if they want a chance at the playoffs, they have to win a lot. 

The North Division has been entertaining. We've had the battle of Alberta and each team playing each other nine times rather than eight. We've seen serious competition. McDavid and Draisaitl versus Matthews and Marner. The battle of siblings, Brady and Matthew Tkachuk. And players going from one team to another like Tanev and Markstrom going from Vancouver to Calgary.

I want to see Vancouver make a push and be the fourth team in the playoffs. It might be unlikely but I'd like to see it. 

So my predictions are:

1. Toronto Maple Leafs

2. Edmonton Oilers

3. Winnipeg Jets

4. Calgary Flames

Now I know the Flames are currently 6 points behind the fourth place Canadiens but Montreal has Brendan Gallagher out. I know they have other talent, lots of it. But for some reason I'm not seeing them making the playoffs. It's going to be close. 

As far as who I want to see battle each other. I'd like to see Toronto and Edmonton and Winnipeg and either Calgary or Montreal.