Hughes v Hughes

Tonight brothers Quinn and Jack Hughes will go head to head as the Canucks come to New Jersey. And Quinn is hoping to get his first win against his younger brother. Quinn is 0-3 when it comes to his record against Jack. 

They battled head to head on October 12, 2018 when Jack scored three points for the USA NTDP U-18 team and Quinn played for the University of Michigan at Yost ice Arena. 

Jack scored his first NHL goal against his big brother and the Canucks in a 1-0 win on October 19th 2019. Quinn totaled one assist in their second meeting in the NHL when the Devils defeated the Canucks 2-1. 

Both players have grown in their games tremendously in their games since the last time they met. Quinn is Vancouver's number one defensemen and a top 10 defensemen in the league. He leads the Canucks in time on ice by a margin of roughly 3 minutes. He has 4 goals, 37 assists, and  41 points putting him in second place for assists and points amongst the team. 

Jack has a had a great year despite missing 17 games in the beginning of the year due to a shoulder injury. He is second in goals with 15, third in assists with 21, and second in points with 36. 

Both Jack and Quinn have such great playmaking ability regardless of whether they get the assist or the goal. Quinn is an offensive defensemen who quarterbacks Vancouver's power play and assists in running the penalty kill. Jack is an explosive center who plays all over the ice creating space for himself and his teammates. 

In my general hockey opinion I think that Vancouver is going to win simply because they are a better hockey team. The Devils have proved they can compete with the best though as they are coming off a 6-1 win over the Pittsburgh Penguins. 

The Hughes show will only increase in intensity when the youngest brother, Luke, gets to play with Jack, and against Quinn. But until then we will see who wins this brother v brother battle and in the bigger picture, the Devils and the Canucks.