Rask Retires

Today Tuukka Rask has announced his retirement from the NHL. His 15 seasons in the National Hockey League and as a Boston Bruin will never be forgotten. As a Bruin Rask won the Vezina Trophy in 2014 and The Stanley Cup in 2011. It was an incredible career for the 34 year old goalie. 

The retirement comes after the realization from Rask that he is no longer capable of playing to the level that the Bruins players, team, and fans deserve. This announcement also comes less than a month after Rask's return to play after he had surgery repairing a torn labrum in his hip. 

In his last game played Rask allowed 5 goals on 27 shots in a 5-3 loss to the Ducks. Rask's response is "Over these last few weeks, I've realized that my body is not responding the way it needs to for me to play at the level I expect of myself and that my teammates and Bruins fans deserve." It was announced Monday that Rask would not play at all this week due to a lower body injury. 

The Bruins will not rely on Linus Ullmark and Jeremy Swayman for the rest of the season. There simply wasn't the room to allow Rask to attempt to get his game back to where it needed to be as the Bruins are holding on to the second wild card seat for the playoffs.

Boston will greatly miss having Rask in the locker room and between the pipes. Congrats on a great Bruins career Tuukka.