Chapter 32: Drake's Story

I had been awake all night thinking hard of how to make everything normal again. I pondered over his words and realized he was right. I was not satisfied. I wanted everything to be normal. I wanted my friends back. Running away was a big mistake.

I decided on talking. I will talk to everyone, solve things. I was even ready for truce with Derrick. Because a part inside me knew that I needed to do it fast or else as Dylan said 'I will regret it.'

Speaking of which I was sad since Dylan left. We had became too close friends , despite what he did he was a good person. And somehow I understood his reasons now that I was in love too. It must had been difficult for him too. And I had been such a cow to him. But now I was headed to school and I was bit too early since I wanted to go to the cafe. I had to talk to Julie. I wanted the job back.

Derrick was out of question and I knew that he would never accept me setting my feet on the place again. I walked silently praying for confidence. What if Julie turned me down too? What would I do then?

I stood outside the cafe daring myself to do it. I took a deep breath to calm down my nerves and took a few steps. Then stopped as I heard a loud crash of glass being broken. Wait, if that's Derrick than he would probably kill me. I shook by head and decided to retreat for now. I did not wished to die young.

As I turned I heard the door open ;

''Don't you dare show your face to me!'' Derrick yelled, but I did not even turned. How did he knew it was me.

There was a sudden  sound as if some baggage was thrown outside. I realized I was frozen to the place.

Then the door closed and I sighed in relief. He really was scary at times. Now how would I talk to Julie? Perhaps leaving this matter would do good to me. I heard someone groaning behind me like they were in serious pain.

Cautiously I turned my head and a gasp escaped my lips. It was not some baggage that Derrick had thrown out, it was a person. A person none other than Drake Sullivan.

His head was covered in blood and he really looked bad. Drake tried to stand up but fell on the ground again. I ran towards him and tried to sling his arm over my shoulder.

''I will call ambulance.'' I whispered frantically, flipped open my phone and called the local hospital. Then supporting Drake, I led him to one of the seats outside and settled him there. His wounds looked pretty serious and he wasn't even looking at me. His jaw was clenched and his mouth in a tight line as if he was trying hard not to groan in pain.

Why was Derrick beating up his own brother so badly? He was seriously inhumane. No way was I going to work with him again. I shuddered at the thought.

''People may have their own reasons.'' Suddenly Dylan's words echoed in my mind. Perhaps Derrick had his reasons, given the fact that Drake was not the best person of the world.
I should not jump to conclusions.

After a few minutes the ambulance was here and once again I went with them, I did not knew myself why was I concerning over Drake but I was never a heartless person.

*******

I had been sitting outside the room in hospital for fifteen minutes. I was still thinking about what just happened? I remembered clearly that on that day in cafe when for the first time I saw them fighting Drake was letting Derrick punch him. That day he would have killed Drake if I haven't intervened and knocked unconscious by him. I grimaced at the thought.

I heard someone clear their throat , I looked up to see an elderly man with a white coat  smiling at me gently.

''Drake's fine now, after all he always ends up fine after beat ups.''

''What do you mean?'' I asked him in confusion.

''Well this is the fifth times this boy is here, I always warned him not to go any where near  Derrick Carson but he is so stubborn.''

''You know  Derrick?'' I asked the doctor who looked at me with an amused face.

''Of course I know him. Derrick visits this hospital after every two days.'' I was taken aback. Why did Derrick visit hospital after every two days. Did he had some disease or anything?

''W-why? I mean is he alright?''

''Yes he is good, didn't you know, his mother had been admitted here since years.''  I felt my jaw dropping to the floor. I was extremely thrown by his answer. Derrick and Drake's mother? Here? This did not sounded right at all.

''Well you should go in, he is sitting now I guess waiting for you.'' The doctor gave me on last glance and scurried away.

I walked slowly inside the room. Drake's face had an expression that I had never  seen before. He was looking out of the window with a distant look on his face. He looked so hurt and in pain. I cleared my throat and took a few steps towards his bed.

''Why did you brought me here?''

 He asked still avoiding my gaze. His voice was hoarse as if he wanted to cry his heart out.  I looked at him straight with my eyes and sat by the chair that was settled by his bed.

''I am not a heartless person you know. Everyone is not like you.'' Now he looked at me with a blank face. ''And everyone is not like Derrick.'' I completed my statement and raised my eyebrows at him. His face was no longer blank, it was shocked.

''I deserved what Derrick did.'' He said quietly.

''I know you are brothers.'' I said trying to crack a conversation.

''We are not.'' He replied as it was the most obvious thing in the world. I narrowed my eyes.I had heard that day Julie talking to Derrick and she said that they were brothers. Perhaps he was not telling me the truth, he did not wanted to share anything about his personal life. That was my guess.

''You are lying.'' I retorted.

''No I am not, we are not brothers.'' He was irritated , in fact I should be irritated with him.

''Liar.''

''We are not brothers, we are step brothers.'' He said explaining hims elf.

''What?'' How many bombs were gonna drop on my head in one day?

''Yes, my father married his mother.'' He said and now I had decided something. I wanted to know their real story badly.

''The doctor said your mother is here and I _''

''Its Derrick's mother, she has cancer, had been for previous four  years.'' He said avoiding my gaze.

''Will you tell me your story.'' I asked him hopefully.

''I am so guilty Allyson. I cannot even see your eyes after what I have done, let alone talk to you.'' I push aside every thought of what he had done.

''I want to know it, despite what you did.'' Sure I was surprised that none other than Drake Sullivan apologized me but now there was only one thing in my mind; my curiosity was killing me.

''If you insist I will tell you. But please dont think bad of me after I do.''

''I wont, I promise.'' I said looking him directly in eyes.

''Well my father married Derrick's mother when I was seven and he was nine years old. We were a happy family. Never once in my life did I felt as if Claire was my step mom. She loved me a lot.

My father was  this rich business man who wanted both of us to be successful as well. I never exceeded his exceptions. I was never a bright student. In fact my interest never lied in business.. But only think that intrigued me since childhood was drama. I would sneak in theaters to see people doing awesome plays and all.

My father was disappointed  with me. He wanted me something I refused. On the other hand Derrick proved to be the son my father always wanted. He stood above all exceptions. Not only a bright person he was responsible too.

Soon dad started differentiating between us and I felt that I was pushed away. This created a crack between relationship I and Derrick had.''

''But Derrick was not his real son yet so.''

''Yes he was not but that did not stopped creating problems between us. I started getting jealous with Derrick. I  got sick of him being perfect one.''

I sensed that Drake voice was full of regret and remorse. I urged him to continue.

''Then I did something that I regret to this day. I started stealing my father's expensive stuff. My father grew really worried that why were his things were  disappearing. Then I dumped it all in Derrick's cupboard.'' I gasped and he clenched his fists trying to keep himself composed.

''Dad was furious, he beat Derrick a lot. Then he decided that we would sent Derrick to reform school on the whole different side of the country. Claire tried a lot to chnage his decision but he refused. Looking at the choas my jelousy had created I decided to tell them the truth.''

''You told them?''

''Well I told Derrick and he was hurt. He raised his fist to punch me and Dad caught him. Dad sent Derrick to some hostel. Everday after he left Dad would fought Claire uneccesserly. She would remain quite everytime listening to his taunts but one day he slapped her. Claire cried alot.

I told her everything even so her love for me never changed. I asked her why wasn't she angry with me? nd do you know what she said;

She said ''Love is not a gamble, its not about give and take away. Its a bond within hearts.'' I gasped , the same sentence I said to Drake the other day. So that's why he was sulking all of the sudden.

''It hurt me that she never blamed me for anything. Then one day Claire was diognised by Luekmia.''

''Instead of taking her care Dad divorced her and kicked her out. Not after days he married again.

We did not told Derrcik but he somehow managed to come back . While he did he was mad. He was none like I had  ever seen him. Derrcik yelled at me and my father that it was our mistake and I told dad everything. Despite that Dad's attitude didn't changed.

Derrcik left the house and went to live with his mother's old freind Julie where Claire herself was staying.'' I was listening to his story intently. So thats why Derrick was close to Julie.

''I begged my faher to bring Derrick back and let me visit Claire but he never allowed. Then one day when I turned sixteen I left home too and started living with a freind of mine.. I had enough money in my bank account and it surprised me that Dad never took it away. I wanted to visit Calire too but Derrick never let me. He hates me now. And I deserve that.''

Drake completed his story and I could not help but feel sympathy for both of them. Drake did a mistake but his father was a greater harbourer of the problem. On the other hand now I knew the reason behind Derrick's attitude. Dylan was so right.

Everybody ahd reasons. He really was a wise person, that Dylan.

''Allyson I really am guilty. Everything that happened it was my fault. I saw my own family fall apart right in front of my eyes. And that made me even more mean. After what you said to me at school thatd ay I was litrelly moved. I realized that I was wrong about all this. That doing all that was not an escape. I am sorry to you, I am sorry to Derrick and I am sorry to Hailey.''

This was Drake Sullivan, he loooked so broken, so alone , so damaged. Who would had thought that this guy would have remorse. But after I heard his story I was not going to snap at him. Thanks to Dylan I had finally learned something.

''Drake, there is never an end unless there is time. You stilll can make it up.'' I put my hand  over his trying to give him some hope but he shook his head.

''No Allyson. My entire existance had nothing but a problem for everyone. All I had ever done is hurting people. Making life hell for them.''

''No... becuase hell is much a worse thing.'' I answerd and he looked at me with big shocked eyes. I only smiled at him.

''How could you say that after all I did?''

''I was almost giving up Drake, I had blocked everything but it never did any good. A freind said to me that Freedom is not running away but clear the things up. You should clear your mess or else there is no way out.''

''I have forgiven you and it feels a lot better to forget, forgive and move one. Hailey still loves you, you just need to talk to her. And Derrick...leave him to me.'' I said reassuringly.

'''Derrick will never accpet my apology, everytime I face him I end up in a hospital bed.''

''I told you, just leave things to me.'' I repeated my words.

''I just want to meet Claire once, she dont have  enough time left. She is dying.'' I gasped and sudddenly felt a pang of saddness.

Derrick had  been through so much and I had been calling him a douchebag. He was in so much pain, I had no idea of the problems and hardships he carried. I rememberd him saying

''Misery? You dont even know the meaning of this word.''

''This is shocking.'' I mumered and he just nodded silently. I checked the time and realized I had missed school again.

''I am leaving now, will meet you tomorrow.'' I got up from m seat and he nodded.

As I reacehd the door Drake called out.

''Allyson!'' I turned back a little.

''Thank you You really are a great person.'' he whispered whilst giving me a sincere smile.

''I know I am.'' I said and smiled back.

As I came outside the hospital I realized that I really was a blessed person. I knew nothing about miseries. Doyle, Derrick, Drake all they had so much in life and I thought I was the unlucky one.

There were these  emotional feelings in my heart, I was feeling saddness for them and a bit hopefull beacuse now my path was clear for me. I smiled a liitle and at the same time two tears flowed down my cheek. I looked up at the sky where birds were flying with freedom.

It was time to do things I should have done long ago.

**********

Just few more chps n then it's finished ..... vote , comment :)