Epilogue

Here it is the ending, which I manged to make sweet.

Epilogue

I wore the helmet tighter around my head and grinned at Carmen and Daniel who were standing on the pavement, fighting over who will hold the whistle. I had biked a lot in my life, in fact most of my childhood days have been spent racing with Dale or Daniel over things like Chocolate pies and jars of nutella.

Today as I looked ahead at our small track, my resolve for winning was stronger than old days. But riding bicycles wasn't exactly comfortable anymore. We had to borrow them from a neighborhood shop and it had cost me a lot of money, but thankfully, I had decided to keep my job at the café and paid it off. The job had meant enduring Derrick's moods but I had grown to live with that.

''Dozing off Caterpillar?'' I turned my head to see Dale grinning at me, and I almost swooned. He wore khaki shorts and a green tee shirt, helmet like mine covering his blonde hair, but leaving a few strands lingering on his forehead. I forced myself to snap out of daze and focused at the task ahead.

''Today I wont doze off Cattermole.''

''Are you sure about that.''

''You'll see,'' I answered confidently.

Christmas was approaching and in respect to that the school had arranged the winter ball. Since it was a ball it was compulsory to go as pairs. Dale was supposed to ask me to the dance, that's what boys do for their girlfriend's right? He didn't.

After weeks of agonizing wait I finally snapped and instead of doing what he was suppose to, he challenged me on this bike race. Whoever wins will have to ask the other to dance in the middle of the cafeteria, with a loud speaker. How embarrassing would that be for me? Drake; whom this news had reached was already making jokes on me everyday and it was getting extremely annoying. I had no intention to lose.

''Ready guys!'' Carmen yelled and it looked like she had managed to wrestle the whistle form Daniel.

''Yeah!'' We yelled in unison.

As soon as the shrill sound reached my ear I didn't waste a single moment and started paddling as fast as possible. The track wasn't that long but as I reached halfway I was already starting to sweat, and it was suppose to be winter.

Dale was behind, much to my chagrin but he soon caught up and was directly beside me. Suddenly he stopped and his eyes went wide in shock. I thought he might be faking it but as soon as some biology lessons about effect of over breathing hit my brain my nerves picked up. I stopped as well and shook his shoulder violently.

''What happened?''

He raised on trembling finger and pointed behind me, ''Isn't that the noodle hair brat?'' Who was nood-

Dylan!

I immediately whirled my head and looked at the trees he pointed at.

''Where? Where is he?'' Too late to realized it was a bluff because as soon as I had looked away Dale had began paddling and gotten far ahead, almost neat the line.

''Wait! That's cheating!'' How could I fall for that one? I knew Dylan was in New York and we had talked to each other through the chat last night. Darn it!

I gritted my teeth and started moving again, cursing out loud at the vile act. But my misery hadn't finished yet because the next thing I knew my bicycle hit something hard; a rock probably and I went crashing down on the hard gravel road, while the bike toppled on top of my ankle.

''Ouch!'' Daniel and Carmen came running towards me and helped the bicycle off my leg, I checked my ankle which had earned a couple of scratches and was defiantly strained.

''Are you alright Caterpillar?'' I glared at his amused face and tried to get up on my feet, failing miserably.

''Thanks to you, I can't probably walk for the next three days!'' I snapped at him.

''Yep and I won.''

''You cheated!''

''You shouldn't have listened to me, I was just day dreaming after all.'' I realized he wasn't going to let this go and he had won. Now I had to ask him to dance, not to mention in front of the entire population of Bakersfield High.

''Whatever, just help me up.''

''Gladly'' I wanted him to support me while I walk back but to my surprise he bent a little and put one arm under my knees and the other around the shoulder. Dale carried me up effortlessly like I weighted nothing.

''What are you doing?'' I squeaked when both Carmen and Daniel began laughing together and giving me suggestive looks.

''Helping my snow white, a damsel in distress aren't you caterpillar?''

My retort died down in my throat as he began walking down the street and to the house. Despite being embarrassed I enjoyed the warm feeling of concern he showed to me and went as far as carrying me along the distance.

We reached my house, and thankfully mom was away on work, and he set me down on the couch, Dale bent and examined my ankle with a frown.  

''I will bring medicine from mom, just wait a sec.''

''It doesn't hurt much, don't bother.'' I told him,

''No bother at all caterpillar, I will be back.''

''It happened because of you in the first place.'' I couldn't help but say, he grinned once again, that lazy expression I had grown to love spreading,

''I am sorry but I will make the dance worth it.'' His words were so earnest that without wanting, my frown disappeared,

''You're a jerk, you know that.'' A handsome, caring, understanding and the best jerk I had been able to come across, he skipped to the door and opened it but as he spoke I could sense that he was smiling,

''Yeah sure, but I am your jerk.'' As he went to bring something form Mrs. Cattermole I was smiling like an idiot.

But I was his idiot.

*                *                *                 *

Red curtains fall, with echoing claps...

or rotten tomatoes...