Chapter 36: Complicated

The play 'Romeo and Juliet' was finally ready and we were to show it this evening.

I was excited and nervous at the same time. When the curtains opened I was astounded by the number of people. Despite my reputation it looked like whole school was there. Mom and Mrs Cattermole came too and I saw them giving me thumbs up. Then there were my friends, Daniel, Carmen. Doyle had said he was not interested and stuff.

The play went smoothly and everyone was cheering at the end. Mr Murphy was extremely happy with our performance since it was a success.

Then at night there was a party at Drake's house for the play's success. I was going with Concaid, since Daniel and Carmen were going together. I did not wanted to be a third wheel in their love and stuff like that.

I wore a light blue evening dress which flowed it's way to my knees. It had  shiny cross straps which made their way to back. I made my hair in an up do with two loose curl strands in front. My shoes were draped in silver high heels and over all I looked good. Conciad arrived at seven and I rushed down trying hard not to slip.

''I thought you were dating Daniel.'' Mom said with an amused voice.

''I am not.''

Mom made a face at me. she always wanted me to end up with any one of the Cattermole twins, Not to mention I myself now want to end up with one of them.

''Hey'' I said to Concaid who was leaning against his car. He smiled at me and opened the door so I could slip in.

We reached Drake's house and it looked as if whole population of Bakersfield High School was there.  Loud rock music was blaring and people were dancing like it was the end of the world.

''There you are!'' Someone shouted in my ear and I turned to see Carmen in a black dress looking absolutely stunning. Daniel was wearing denim jeans, a white shirt with a black jacket.

''You are looking good Ally.'' Daniel complimented and I smiled at him. then suddenly I got sight of Dale. He was looking absolutely handsome and thankfully no Delilah clinging over him. Dale was looking at me straight in the eyes and took a few steps but then stopped.

Actually we all stopped because the music had stopped.

''Hey Guys!'' Someone said and the everyone's attention turned towards Drake who was standing by the music system.

''I hope you all are enjoying the party, but today another purpose of mine was to tell you guys something. Few months ago on the night of Spring Dance I said that Allyson White and I were personally involved.'' Everyone started staring at me again but my eyes were fixed on Drake who was smiling at me.

''It was a lie. I made it all up because she rejected me.There is nothing between us. Never is, never was.'' Now everyone was gaping at Drake and I smiled. I was so grateful to him for clearing up my name.

''The kiss you all saw was also my flaw. I am sorry Allyson and I am sorry Hailey. I am sorry to everyone for lying. I am a big asshole. Allyson thanks for forgiving me, thanks for showing me the right way. I owe it to you. You really are an awesome person.''

Drake started the music again and made his way towards me, I hugged him hard.

''Thanks for that.''

''I had  to do it someday than why not now.'' He chuckled and then left waving at me.

Daniel and Carmen went back to bickering with each other and Concaid excused himself. I made my way to get something to drink. Sitting there I drank what seemed like Grape juice.

Suddenly I started feeling suffocated and decided to take a round of outside. Once out I sat on a stair of gazebo. Drake's house which I knew he owned all to himself was huge. Despite his bad relationship with his father it surprised me that that his father was willing to spend money on him.

''You are here.'' I whirled my head in surprise.
Dale leaned against the pillar and smirked at me. I shifted uncomfortably as he sat beside me, too near for my liking.

''You are looking beautiful Caterpillar.'' His compliment threw me off guard. I stared at him and realized our faces were inches apart.

''See I have an effect on you.'' His smirk grew wider and I turned my face in other direction.

''Why are you ignoring me?'' I did not answered but got up to leave but Dale grabbed my arm and pulled me closer.

''Tell me why are you ignoring me?'' His tone was way too serious, I bit my lip and looked away from his lingering gaze. Dale's hand rested on my chin making me look up.

''I don't want us to be like this Ally specially after what you said me that day, I cannot forget it. No matter what.'' We continued looked at each other and then I started crying again. Damn me and my overflowing emotions.

Tears fell from my eyes and he cupped my cheek with one hand and wiped it from the other.

''Please don't cry. I am sorry I blamed you. I was angry I wasn't thinking straight.'' He pleaded and I pulled away from his gaze.

''Ally please let me_'' I raised my hand to stop him saying another word.

''Don't be sorry Dale, it doesn't matter now. I cannot forgive what you said to me. Things cannot be normal between us. Never again.'' I said and ran back inside wiping my face which looked scary now.

I wanted his comfort, I wanted to be with him but somehow my emotions were confused and twisted. Doyle was so wrong because love was complicated. Way too complicated.

*****

Claire died after two days, in her sleep. I got a call from Julie and the funeral was the next morning. I cried a lot  no reason there. But I still found it unfair. Derrick did not deserved it. All these days I had  spent a lot of time with her.

I went there with Carmen and Daniel. Dale was there too. Since Delilah was Julie's sister so I guessed that's why. Then there were a few other familiar faces. Drake came along with Hailey who passed us a smile.

Derrick looked beyond sad but despite that he showed bravery and courage. After the funeral we were supposed to go to church for a short memorial.  I saw both Drake and Derrick standing in front of the grave, not speaking a word but just standing there. I still believed that one day he would forgive Drake. I just knew.

In the church everyone listened to Julie's relatives as they all said a few words about her. I sat beside Daniel and sobbed quietly on his shoulder. Then Derrick came, he looked completely heartbroken.

''My mother was my only shelter. She never lose hope until the end she remained strong. She was a stone for me. Even now after she is gone I can still fell her watching me.I can feel her smiling at me. But I would say this just once, 'Mom you were perhaps the best friend I ever had, I will miss you, I will miss your laughter, I will miss your smiles.''

Derrick walked off and took his seat again next to Julie, why did boys pushed themselves so hard? Trying to act tough and hard not to cry. It was okay to cry when you loose somebody too close.

I snapped my attention back to Drake who was now speaking, ''...Never once did she treated me differently. Her smile was enough to lighten my day. She thought me that Love is not a gamble, its not about give and take, May her soul rest in peace.''

I got out of the church after saying goodbye to Derrick. I was still crying.

''Ally'' I cocked my head to look at Dale who was standing in front of me.

Without knowing what I was doing I threw my arms around him and he hugged me back gently stroking my hair, ''Shh it's okay. Everything will be alright.''

I pulled away embarrassed for ruining his shirt.

''So you are here too?'' I asked even though I saw him already.

''Claire was Delilah's relative. I didn't knew that the Derrick guy and Drake Sullivan were brothers,'' He said glancing at them.

''There are step brothers.'' I said quietly.

''Oh, I was not aware.'' We stood there silently and Dale opened his mouth to say something when Delilah came by his side.

''Hey Allyson.''

''Hi.'' Despite a want of chopping her head I managed a fake smile. I could feel Dale looking at me.

''Dale let's go, I want to go home.'' She said bye to me and dragged him away.

I watched them with dismay. Dale knew what I felt for him and it hurt so much that he did not feel the same way I did. I felt a tap on my shoulder to see Carmen there with a concerned look on her face.

''Why don't you tell him?''

''I already did.'' I answered. There was no point of hiding my feelings from Carmen.

''And_''

''He does not feel that way.'' I admitted sadly.

''Did he said that?''

''No.'' I shook my head and we both started walking towards Daniel's car.

''Ally, you both need to talk. Perhaps he likes you too but is not confident enough to tell you.'' I wished it was true but I did not wanted any false hopes.

''I don't want to talk about it. Lets go home.''
______________________________________________________________________________

ONLY TWO MORE CHAPTERS LEFT!!!!!

If you guys liked this story please read my other book FLAVORS; PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AND DON'T FORGET TO VOTE, COMMENT.