Unstable: Chapter 34

I sit in the wheelchair at the head of the table and Aizawa sits in the chair adjacent to me with Yamada next to him. Ojirou sits next to Yamada, and Yaoyorozu takes the last seat on that side. On the other side, Jirou sits closest to me with Tokoyami, then Shouji, then Kirishima, and Iida sits on the far end, farthest from me.

     In the middle of the rectangular table, there's a tablet with a colorful screen.

    Yamada-San is the one who picks it up.

     "Unfortunately, you need to stay more on the bland side, but otherwise, you can pretty much have whatever you want."

     "Does that include coffee?" I ask hopefully.

     "It absolutely does not, but nice try," Aizawa mumbles.

     "I hereby ban you from coffee for at least three months," Tokoyami says, twirling a single chopstick in his hand.

     "You don't even have the power to do that," I tell him, narrowing my eyes.

     "But I do," Aizawa says. "And I say no coffee."

     I glare at Tokoyami. "You suck. This is why Dark Shadow is mean to you."

     "Dark Shadow is a demon. He's mean to everyone."

     "That's not even remotely true. Dark Shadow is a sweetheart and you know it," I say and hold out my hands. "Speaking of, let me see him."

     Tokoyami rolls his eyes. "You know we're not allowed to use our quirks outside of school."

     "Sure we are. Ojirou is using his, and so is Shouji."

     "They're- that's not," he stumbles, "their quirks are mutation types, it doesn't count."

     "Why not?"

     "Because- it's- you're," he groans. "Unbelievable. I cant believe you are the one person I can't say no to."

     "Of course you can't," I grin as Dark Shadow appears and nuzzles into my open palms, "I'm too amazing."

     "Is that what helps you sleep at night?" Shouji asks, adjusting his mask as I see the faint outline of a smile.

     "Sleep? Who's she? Sounds like a bitch."

     Jirou snorts and covers her mouth, but Iida scowls.

     "(Y/N)," Yamada says, dragging out the vowels in a disappointed tone. "We're in a hospital, you can't talk like that here."

     I cover my mouth, mumbling a genuine "Sorry, Sensei..."

     A few tense seconds pass before most of the table breaks down in soft giggle fits and quiet snorts. My stomach twinges in pain but I ignore it, taking the time to savor these quiet moments between the chaos.

     Class President Man doesn't look very happy, though.

     "So what's your deal?" I ask without thinking, looking directly at him. "You haven't said a single word the entire time you guys have been here. Why'd you tag along?"

     He hesitates, then pushes his glasses up his nose. "It is my duty as 1-A's Class President to ensure the safety and well-being of every student in our class. Obviously, that includes you."

     "O-kay," I mumble. "And the dirty looks are for...?"

     It's dead-silent at the table, and I see Aizawa look from me, to Iida, then back to me. I lean forward, resting my elbows on the table as he seems to try and form a sentence in his head before he says it.