Walls: Chapter 5

Aizawa's waiting for me at the entrance of my building, just like he said he would be. He has his hands in his pockets and his goggles are around his neck, underneath his scarf.

I walk past him and he walks with me, much taller than me. He waits for a group of people to pass before speaking.

"I know you're a smart kid, (L/N). Sleeping on your fire escape, especially in your neighborhood, is far from genius. You have zero sense of self-preservation, kid." There it is. "I'm willing to forgive your sleep schedule because mine isn't ideal either, and I know your quirk is a huge part of it. That is no excuse to recklessly put yourself in harm's way, as you did.

"Are you trying to get kidnapped? Murdered? There are some shitty people out there and they'll grab you in a heartbeat if you're vulnerable. In our best-case scenario, you'll only get sick. Do you feel funny?"

"I feel fine," I mumble. "I get it, I'm reckless. Are you done?"

"Do you even care? You could have died, (L/N)."

"You're so dramatic, just step off! I'm fine, I'm dandy, okay?" I didn't mean to raise my voice. Just... not right now.

Luckily, my phone rings. I snatch it out of my pocket and see that my dad's calling. Okay, maybe not so lucky.

"What?" I answer aggressively.

"Don't talk to me like that."

"...Sorry. What do you need?"

"You may not wanna come home after school for, say, an hour or two. Maybe three, depending on how intense things get." I can hear the smirk in his voice and a woman giggle in the background, but it's not my mom.

"Whore," I mumble accidentally.

"What the fuck did you just say?"

"I said sure. Sorry, my reception is bad."

"Better be. Now fuck off." He hangs up on me and my grip tightens on my phone, and I have to force myself to not chuck it across the road.

"I'm... I'm gonna listen to music, okay? I'm having a rough morning."

"It's okay. But we're talking after school, since you now have detention."

"Fine."

Any other day, I'd be terrified of detention, but I'm kicked out of the house until almost 6 o'clock, so there's no point in fighting it.

I put my earbuds in my ears. I connect them to my phone and start playing music as I follow Aizawa mindlessly.

***

"What are you doing?"

"Push-ups," I answer as I lower myself.

"Your form is awful."

"Your face is awful but you don't hear me complaining."

"Wow, how original. Put your feet together and straighten your back."

"I know how to do push-ups," I say as I do what he told me to.

I'm now in detention. I finished all of my work and I still have an hour left. I don't want to take a nap, I have too much energy.

"Do you think I can do a one-armed push-up?" I ask, looking at Aizawa. He's busy grading papers. He puts his pen down and looks at me, crossing his arms.

"Why are you asking me? Just try."

I do, and I face-plant the floor as soon as I lift my left arm up. Aizawa laughs at me. He laughs at me! The audacity!