Connect: Chapter 61

By the end of the week, Rumi and I are practically best friends, attached at the hip and bantering as if we've known each other for years rather than days.

     It's a loud train ride, between Rumi's booming voice and the rest of the passengers talking. But I find myself able to talk to Rumi just as loudly, laughing and chatting the whole way back to Musutafu.

     When the train slows and the speakers announce our arrival, my heart flutters with nerves -- both from leaving Rumi and coming back home.

     She steps off the train with me and we look around, searching the growing crowd for my guardians.

     "See 'em?" She asks, raising to the tips of her toes. I shake my head, but pause when I spot long, black hair.

     "Oh! There!"

     I run up behind him, throwing my arms around him and squeezing tightly. "I'm back!"

     "What the Hell?" a horrifically feminine voice asks, and I look up to find that... This is not Aizawa, oh fuck.

     I jerk back, bringing my arms close. "I am so sorry! I thought you were someone else!"

     She simply walks away and I sincerely wish the ground would open up and swallow me whole.

     Oh, my fucking God. I might cry, this is so embarrassing.

     "That's embarrassing," Rumi says unhelpfully.

     "Oh my God, stop," I grumble, turning to keep looking for Aizawa and Yamada.

     After a few minutes, and standing on a bench to get a better view, we find Aizawa and, to my semi-surprise, Yamada.

     We make eye contact after a few seconds and wave at each other. I step down from the bench, turning to Rumi.

     "Well, I guess this is it, kiddo," she says. "But you can't get rid of me that easy. If you ever wanna talk, shoot me a text. We're friends now, alright?"

     I nod, and she pulls me in for another hug that I return.

     "It was great working with you. You're a really good teacher."

     "You just needed someone to knock some sense into ya'!" She knocks her knuckles on the top of my head. "But if anything I said bothers you, let me know. I don't know the full story, and I don't wanna step on any toes."

     "Right, yeah, it's okay. I've... I've learned a lot from you. My main motivation in the beginning was, uh... Well, I'm a bit of a fan, I guess. But you helped me with a lot of stuff. And I appreciate it. I... Appreciate you."

     She squeezes me tighter for a few seconds, then pulls away just in time for me to be tackled, lifted several inches off the ground, and spun around in a bone-crushing hug.

     I squeak in surprise, but I'm quickly put down. I catch a brief glimpse of blonde hair and hug back, grinning.

     "Welcome hooome! We missed you!"

     I soften the hug into something less intense and more meaningful, then pull away.

     "I missed you, too."

     "I'll take these!" He declares, gently pulling my bags from my grasp. "And I'll pull the car around."

     He practically skips away before I can protest, but I'm cut off anyway by Aizawa ruffling my hair. We both turn to Mirko, who looks surprisingly serious.