Wooden: Chapter 42

About a week later, the three of us sit at the breakfast bar for dinner.

     Yamada is in the middle of a story when suddenly, Aizawa's phone rings. Aizawa picks up the phone, looking ready to decline before he reads the contact name. Yamada looks vaguely annoyed before looking at me and smiling, rolling his eyes and mouthing, 'Men.'

I'm ashamed to say I giggle.

     "Hello?" He asks, bringing the phone to his ear and putting his chopsticks down. A few seconds pass. "Yeah. Do you need her?"

     I look up, briefly wondering if it's about me. It must be, because he hands the phone to me after a short, "Here."

     I look at the contact name. Nezu.

     "Good evening, sir," I say into the phone, putting my own chopsticks down.

     "Good evening, dear! I would typically mail a letter, but this seems far easier, as you currently reside with both Aizawa and Yamada."

     I raise an eyebrow. "Is something wrong?"

     "No, no. I was simply curious about your situation with returning to school."

     "Oh," I say quietly, then clear my throat. "I'll be there tomorrow. I can walk fine now. I'm a little slow but I can do it on my own. Stairs are tricky, though."

    "As expected," he says happily. "The doctors told you that your incision won't heal for about three months, correct?"

     I bite the inside of my cheek, keeping the annoyance out of my voice. "Yes, sir."

     "Hm," he hums, "alright then! Then I'm calling to let you know that you're temporarily excused from dress code requirements."

     I pause, refocusing on my surroundings and blinking a few times. "Really?"

     "Well, to the extent of the uniform. But I trust you understood that."

     "Yes, sir. Um... Thank you."

     "Don't even worry about it, dear. I want to make your recovery as comfortable as I am able to."

     I smile. "Thank you."

    "Of course. Have a wonderful night, Miss Aizawa."

     "Tha-... Wh- Sir?"

     "I'll see you all tomorrow!"

     He hangs up and I'm left to hand the phone back to Aizawa. He raises an eyebrow and I shrug, turning back to my food.

     "He said I don't have to wear the uniform until the incision is healed. Just to prevent any irritation and stuff like that, I'm guessing."

     Yamada grins. "Fun."

     "Tch, yeah," I scoff. "Tomorrow is totally gonna be fun. I get to sit next to Iida."

     "Just don't get into any fights," Aizawa says. "Your record isn't the cleanest as it is. We can't have you picking fights with top students."

"Well," I mumble, picking up a clump of rice and shrugging, "maybe he shouldn't have picked a fight with me."

***

     Shooting up in bed is painful and I feel sick, but what makes me feel even more sick is the sound of heavy footsteps outside my door. My body tenses, feeling trapped in a very familiar situation.