Shutters: Chapter 15

I leave the bathroom and walk down the hall.

     Aizawa and Nemuri sit next to each other at the table while Present Mic plates food for us all.

     I sit across from Midnight as they both turn to me.

     "Do you know who you're inviting?" Aizawa asks.

     "Well, Tokoyami and Shouji, definitely. I'm not sure who else."

     "What about that one girl? With the purple hair?" Midnight asks.

     "Uh, Jirou? I don't know. I've talked to her about three times, and it's always been in passing."

     "Well, is she someone you'd like to be friends with?" Present Mic asks as he bring over Midnight's and my own plate.

     "Well... Yeah," I say uncertainly, "she's pretty cool. I just, I barely know her."

     "If that's your mindset, you'll never get to know anyone!" He says with his back turned, then brings over his plate and Aizawa's. "Think of it this way. Sure, there are always gonna be people you don't mesh well with, but these are the years to make friends for life. I mean, look at us!"

     I smile softly as I look at the adults around me. Then at just Aizawa and Present Mic.

     "I would never have guessed that you two were roommates."

     "We're not," Aizawa says as he casually pokes around his plate with his chopsticks, "Yamada is actually keeping me held captive and he forces me to pay half the rent."

     "And I make him breakfast and dinner and organize his calendar and make sure he gets adequate amounts of sleep. You know, the normal stuff," Present Mic says and shrugs. He breaks apart his chopsticks and digs into his rice.

     It's silent for a few seconds before Aizawa looks to the side and mumbles, "I make breakfast sometimes..."

     "Nearly burning down the kitchen while attempting to make bacon does not count."

     Aizawa opens his mouth to speak.

     "Neither does forgetting to put water in the coffee maker before brewing it."

     "Alright, alright, I get it. I can't cook for shit."

     "Shouta, language!" Midnight chastises.

     "It's okay," I laugh, "he hears worse from me almost daily."

     "(L/N)," Aizawa starts, dragging his hand over his face, "you have some of the most creative vocabulary I have ever heard. Not even from a teenager, just from anyone in general."

     "Is that a good thing?" I ask.

     Present Mc and Aizawa share a quick look before Aizawa sighs. 

     "We're not sure yet."

     "Oh, but you never answered me!" Present Mic suddenly put downs his chopsticks. "Are you gonna invite Jirou?"

     I bite the inside of my cheek before sighing. "I'll ask Tokoyami to invite her."

     Nemuri claps and I sheepishly continue eating dinner.

---

     Aizawa, Present Mic, and Nemuri sit on the couch quietly waiting. The two men have changed into civilian clothing while Nemuri exchanged a pair of sweatpants for jeans. Where she got them, I may never know. 

     I sit in the armchair as I call Tokoyami. It rings for a few seconds before I hear his voice.

     "Hey, are you busy?"