Skylights: Chapter 6

When Aizawa and I reach the car, Present Mic is already in the front seat on the driver's side. He's changed into civilian clothing and his hair is down. He smiles at both of us as Aizawa climbs into the passengers side and I get into the back seat.

     "Heya! So, how was detention?"

     "Fun," I say. Which is a response that I never thought I would have to that question. 

     "It wasn't really detention, I guess," Aizawa says as he pulls on his seatbelt. "So, where are we going to eat?"

     "That one place we went to in the city a couple of weeks ago, with the koi fish fountain thingy inside. And the glass painting of the koi fish in the dining area?"

     "Oh, yeah. They have good sushi."

     "That sound good to you, kid?"

     "Yeah. As I said, I'm not picky at all,"  I say, looking out of the window.  Present Mic nods and starts driving. 

     After a couple of minutes, Aizawa turns on the radio. To my surprise, it's an English radio station, and Present Mic has a nice singing voice. I mouth the words to myself. 

***

     Dinner was nice. I've never been to a proper restaurant, so it was a little weird at first, but the food was nice and Present Mic is really funny. That was the most I've laughed in a while. 

     Even back in the car, my teachers driving me home after I told them they didn't have to, I have a little smile on my face. Today started rough, but it's not bad. Not bad at all.

     Aizawa directs Present Mic to my apartment complex and the latter looks more and more worried as we drive. 

     "This area is really dangerous, kiddo. This is where you live?" 

     "Uh, yeah," I say, biting the inside of my cheek. 

     "Are one of your parents gonna come down and get ya'? Should one of us take you up there? Shouta, I don't think it's a good idea that she goes up alone."

     "No, it's okay. The people here aren't bad, and they know me pretty well. I'll be okay. Promise." I pop open the door and climb out. "Thank you for dinner. I'll see you both Monday." I shut the door but they don't drive away.

     I turn and start walking to the entrance. I manage to close the door of the building before I hear a car door open and close outside. I peak my head out again and see Present Mic jogging toward me. He grins. 

     "I'd just feel a bit more comfortable if one of us went with you. Lead the way, kiddo."

     I feel my eyes widen involuntarily before I force my expression back to its usual blank, dead, tired stare. "Okay."

     He walks with me up the staircases, and he's out of breath by the time we get to the top. 

     "You," heave, "do that," heave, "every day?! I hope I never get kicked by you!" We both laugh a bit. I wait for him to catch his breath before walking down the hallway, to my parents' apartment.

     I knock on the door and Present Mic looks at me oddly. I look up at him with an eyebrow raised. 

     "What?"

     "You knock on the door to your own place?"

     "Um, yes," I say, though it sounds more like a question. "You don't?"

    "No, because, well... it's my place, so why would I?"

     I look at the doorknob, then the number on the door and shrug. Just as I'm about to talk again, the door opens. 

     "Who the Hell- Oh." My dad's upper lip raises in a small sneer, another cigarette between his teeth. "You're late. What took you so long?"

     "You're the one who kicked me out of the house for three hours." My good mood is melting away.

     This is embarrassing. Present Mic is witnessing this. I hate it here.

     My dad looks at my teacher, narrowing his eyes before looking at me again.

     "Who the fuck is this twink?"

     Oh, my fucking God. I really hate it here.

     "He's my teacher," I say, gritting my teeth. Present Mic looks extremely offended.

     I am so fucking sorry. I'm so, so sorry.

     My dad takes the cigarette out of his mouth, flicking it just to the left of me. I sway out of the way just enough, barely missing being burned.

     I don't realize I'm glaring until my dad looks at me and narrows his eyes.

     "Wipe that fucking look off your face and go to your room."

     I turn to Present Mic and bow slightly, saying one last word of thanks before walking into the apartment.

     "See you Monday, kiddo!" Present Mic calls to me. I wave without looking before my dad basically slams the door in his face. At least he forgot about the cigarettes.

     I feel awful.

     You were worried about letting me walk to my apartment alone. You didn't want me to get hurt out there.

     The real danger lies behind the door that was just closed on you. Can't you see how scared I am?

***

     I don't show up to school Monday.

     I don't show up to the roof at 2 AM, either. I miss them, but they can't see me like this.

***

     I'm tired. Why didn't I sit with the girls?

     Avoid, avoid.

***

     The corners of my room are dark.

     I can't get myself out of bed.

     I think I'll talk to Jirou tomorrow. She's probably the least intimidating out of all the girls.

     I don't know.

***

     I didn't go to school Friday.

***

     I'm sitting on my bed when I see a dark figure outside my window. It kneels down and I see familiar yellow goggles. He knocks lightly.

     I slowly push the window open and sit back on my bed. He sits on my fire escape.

     I wipe the tears off my face and stay silent.

     What do I even say?

     'I'm sorry I'm so pathetic that I can't even face you after Thursday'? 'I know that Present Mic told you, sorry my parents are assholes'?

     We sit there for several minutes, silent.

     Eventually, he speaks up.

     "You're gonna be okay, (Y/N)."

     I feel a pat on my head and look up when it pulls away, only to see no one there at all.