Unfinished: Chapter 8

The room is practically silent while we wait for more students to show up. I think I'm the only one who finds the silence awkward, though.

It really shouldn't be. I'm working, they're working, Aizawa is writing a couple of things on the board. Why can't I just be comfortable in the presence of others? Why don't I have the courage to fill the silence?

After a few minutes, the door opens and two boys walk in. One is Bakugou, I know him, and the other boy sits in front of me. I think his name starts with a K, I don't remember.

His face lights up when he spots me, and I quickly look back down at my work. I hear him practically jog over to me.

"Hey! It's glad to see you're back! We were worried about you."

Debatable. I contribute nothing to your daily life. "Yeah. Thanks."

He grins, and- holy fuck. His teeth. Also, how does one smile so bright?

"Are you feeling any better?"

"Um, yeah. Loads. Thanks."

They worry about everything. We're a pretty small class, I suppose. It's not too difficult to notice an absence if you really pay attention.

"Cool! Make sure to message the group chat next time, yeah? It's not the same without you."

Yeah, okay, sure.

"Yeah, okay, sure," I say, a bit more sincerely than my thoughts.

***

Shouji and Tokoyami were happy to see me when they entered the room. They don't bother much with physical affection, but they both gave me hugs.

I really did miss my friends. I always do when I miss a day or two. I haven't missed a week of school since my second year of Junior High.

The class goes by quickly, though, as I settle back into the routine. I even make it through without dozing off.

Aizawa leaves after he announces that the lesson is over.

Present Mic is rushing into the room a few moments later. His eyes search the room frantically, until he looks at me and his face lights up.

"(L/N)!" He shouts, pointing at me dramatically, "I need ya' in the hall for a minute, please!"

I nod, standing from my seat and walking to the front of the room. The eyes that drill into my back are ignored, even as I leave the classroom. Present Mic closes the door before pulling me into a bone-crushing hug.

"Never. Scare me like that again." His voice is serious, then he pulls back and rests his hands on my shoulders, looking over my face. "I thought something awful happened to you."

"Don't worry. I'm okay. Just got a little sick."

"I know, it's just... Nevermind. It's not important yet. Principal Nezu wants to see you for a minute, though. Just head to his office, you don't need a pass or anything. You know the way, right?"

"Yeah. Okay. I'll see you when I get back."

I walk away, hearing Present Mic take a deep breath before entering the room again with a shouted greeting. I take a deep breath myself as I head to the office.

The halls are empty, and my steps echo throughout the corridor. It's strange, seeing these halls so... not crowded. Not unwelcome, though.

It only takes a few minutes to get to the office, and I'm knocking on the door, waiting for confirmation to enter.

To my surprise, Aizawa opens the door. He gives me a nod as a greeting before stepping to the side, gesturing for me to walk in. I step through and Principal Nezu perks up.

"(L/N)-San! I'm so glad you could make it! I'm sorry to pull you out of your class but there was something I wanted to discuss with you. Sit, sit, please, dear."

I sit in the plush chair in front of his desk while Aizawa takes a seat beside Nezu, off to the side a bit more.

"Would you like some tea? Coffee?" Principal Nezu asks.

"Uh, coffee, please," I speak up softly. I'm a good student. I don't see how I could be in any amount of trouble. Well, unless someone found out about my parents and reported it to the authorities.

... Did someone find out? Oh fuck.

No, no, I won't worry about it. That's most likely not what this is about. There would probably be a police officer present if it were.

I'm pulled from my anxious thoughts as Principal Nezu places a pristine white mug of coffee in front of me.

I say my thanks as I take it into my hands, lifting it to my lips and drinking almost greedily. It's been so long since I've had caffeine. I missed it.

"How has your day been so far, dear?"

"Oh, it's been good. I got here early and caught up on all the work I missed. I haven't had to take any naps yet, but it's still early, so there's still time for that to change."

Principal Nezu laughs light-heartedly as a small smile comes to Aizawa's face.

"That's excellent to hear. Have you settled back into your routine well?"

My anxious thoughts gnaw at my mind, making me hesitate to answer his question.

"Principal Nezu, if you don't mind, could you tell me why I'm here? I'm not in trouble, am I?"

His smile falters before coming back a little brighter. "No, no, of course not. You're not in trouble at all."

I drink my coffee again as he hops down from his chair, taking a Manila folder from Aizawa. He hops back into his chair and holds it out to me.

"What's this?" I ask, setting down my coffee cup and taking the folder gently.

"These are your school records. All confidential information has been removed, the only things here are things I want you to see. Read through and tell me what you notice."

I open the folder, careful not to spill any papers from it, and read through my file.

'Name: (L/N) (Y/N)

Age: 15

Height: 5'4

Known Relatives: (L/N) (F/N) and (L/N) (M/N)

Course: Hero Course (Class 1-A)

Quirk: Unknown - Quirk's name and function were not provided by the student's legal guardians.

Suspensions: None

Detentions: 2'

I let out a sigh of relief.

"I have no quirk listed."