Add-On: Chapter 55

It's been about a week since the Sports Festival. Tokoyami placed third on the podium and has been absolutely beaming since then.

Yamada has been pretty noticeably stressed. I don't want to push him for answers; it isn't my business. But I worry about him all the same.

Aizawa seems to know what's wrong, but neither of them have told me anything. But that's okay. I'm not entitled to that knowledge.

Sitting in homeroom on a Monday, I talk quietly with Tokoyami and Kirishima about random subjects, ranging from last night's English assignment to the heroes we hope we're scouted by.

Fumikage is really hoping for Edge Shot, or even someone like Gang Orca who understands the problems that come with having a physical mutation. While Tokoyami's mutation isn't a direct cause of his quirk, the discrimination he faces hurts anyway.

Kirishima is just hoping for someone who can teach him to get stronger. I'm... not surprised.

When Aizawa walks in, tired as ever with his sleeping bag dragging behind him, we all quiet down and give him our attention.

"As you're all well aware, many pro heroes and agencies watched your performance last week. I have compiled lists for all of you. Choose wisely, and submit your choice to me by the end of the week. Someone come pass these out."

Shouji gets up, being the one that can do it the most efficiently, and Aizawa nods his head in thanks as he hands the stack over.

As Shouji walks through the aisles, I anxiously bounce my leg.

As chatter breaks out across the room, some getting excited about their choices, I feel a tap on my shoulder and turn around.

Iida's arm is stretched over the space between us, hand hovering over my shoulder. I turn a bit more to face him fully, letting my distaste show.

"What?" I ask, a bit shorter than I really wanted to.

He takes a small breath. He doesn't look mad, but he looks a bit nervous.

"(L/N)-San, I... I do hope your internship is enlightening. Your performance during the Sports Festival was commendable. You... Did a good job."

I think the shock shows on my face because Iida continues to look increasingly ashamed.

"If you are not busy later, I feel we need to have a more docile conversation. I've realized that my actions these past months have not been very... heroic."

It takes a few seconds for my brain to kickstart, but when it does, I say rather eloquently,

"Oh, uh, yeah. Sure. Of course."

"Where is a good place to meet during lunch?"

"Uh," I start, "the courtyard. Or the rooftop."

He nods. "I'll meet you on the rooftop after you eat your lunch. Please be punctual!"

I blink once, then twice, then turn away. I catch Kirishima's sideways glance and know that he heard the conversation.

I glance over my shoulder and see that Iida is doing his own thing, no longer paying attention to me. I meet Kirishima's eyes again and shrug, and he shrugs back.

We both laugh quietly just as Shouji hands me my paper. When I go to grab it, he quickly moves it out of my reach and I look up at him with an unamused look. I quickly snatch it when he tries to do it again.