Rugged: Chapter 9

It's not that I don't have a quirk, because I do. I have an idea of what it is, but my parents have never cared enough to take me to the doctor's to give it a name.

     "Precisely. I understand that the rule of needing a quirk in order to become a hero was removed, but it's obvious that you have one. I was unable to contact your parents, so my next step was speaking with you directly."

     "Yeah, I'm sorry about that. They're pretty busy with work, so even I have trouble reaching them at times." I run my thumb over the pattern of the plush armchair, feeling the rough texture against my skin. It soothes the bubbling anxiety, even if it's only a little.

     "It's quite alright. I just want to sort this out so we have accurate records for the school."

     "Yeah, sure." Principal Nezu turns to his computer and prepares his little paws to type.

     "I must ask you to name your quirk and describe its function, as detailed as you can."

     It's not hard to think of a name quickly.

     "My quirk is Stock. Essentially, I can store potential energy in my body after I drink coffee. I'm able to decide when I want to, though. How much I can store is dependent on the amount of energy in my system. I drink coffee before training to make the energy reserves larger.

     "However, after I use my quirk, and depending on how much caffeine I use from my system, I can pass out because I'm so tired. Another drawback is that my quirk screws up my melatonin production entirely. I can stay awake for days if melatonin isn't being produced, or I take naps constantly because my brain is producing too much. My sleep schedule doesn't exist.

     "I like to think of caffeine as gasoline, and I am the car. Drinking caffeine creates more places in my body to store potential energy, and when I release momentum, it quickly turns into kinetic energy."

     Principal Nezu continues typing on his computer.

     I look over at Aizawa as he brings his own coffee mug up to his mouth, tilting back before looking down into it and frowning. Must be empty. I hold back a laugh. Same.

     I pick up my own coffee mug and try to drink from it, only to find out mine is also empty. Well, fuck. I look at Aizawa again and he's trying to contain a smile of his own. I make a face and he rolls his eyes at me.

     I look at Principal Nezu just in time, as he turns to look at me.

     "Your records will be updated with your quirk information. Thank you so much, dear, and again, I'm truly sorry to pull you from your class like this."

     "No, it's not a problem. I'm glad I could help."

     "Wonderful. I believe we're done here." He looks at Aizawa for confirmation, and Aizawa nods. 

     "Well, you may head back now. Thank you for joining us, Eraserhead."

     "Of course." I stand from my seat after Aizawa stands from his. I leave through the door, holding it for Aizawa. Aizawa mumbles a thank you before closing the door behind him.

     He walks with me down the hallway, as I sway back and forth slowly.

     "You drank that entire thing of coffee. You're going to be off the walls during training."

     "That's a good thing, is it not? I missed a week, so I gotta put in some serious work today."

     "You're going to pass out afterward."

     "That's a risk I have to be willing to take. Hey, why were you in there anyway?"

     "I'm your homeroom teacher. I need to be informed of any changes made to your files, and it was easier for me to be there since I wasn't busy."

     "Oh, okay. Oh, by the way! Who's the boy who sits in front of me?"

     "Kirishima. He's friendly, you should talk to him."

     I make a face before gasping softly, placing a hand over my mouth. "I am so sorry, I did not mean to make that face out loud."

     Aizawa sighs and shakes his head at my caffeinated antics. "It's okay. I know how you are about talking to new people. I won't force you."

     "Faaantastic." I grin, almost skipping through the hall.

     Soon enough, we're back in front of the classroom door and Aizawa is opening it without knocking. I walk as calmly as I can to my seat, hoping no one notices the small twitches in my fingers.

     As I sit, Aizawa says something to Present Mic, and Tokoyami turns to me.

     "Who gave you caffeine?"

     I grin widely, resting my chin in my hand. "Principal Nezu."

     Tokoyami rolls his eyes with a small smile. "You're insufferable."

     "Mmmm, yep." I smile wider, looking back to the front as Aizawa leaves and Present Mic turns to us.

     "Let's continue where we left off, little listeners!"

***

     Fuck my life.

     Seriously, fuck my life. Why did I choose coffee when I know how it affects me? Why couldn't I ask for water?

     Probably because I have an unhealthy addiction to caffeinated drinks.

     I continue to aggressively scrub orange sauce off of my white uniform shirt. I passed out during lunch and straight into my katsudon.

     Fuck my life.

***

     School ended a few hours ago. My parents locked me out of the house, so I've decided to hang out on the rooftop for a few hours. It's been a few hours as it is, but a few more won't hurt.

     There's something that a lot of people don't understand about abusive parents.

     Sometimes, it's hard to hate them. Or you feel like you can't because you know they provide shelter and do things for you, so hating them would be ungrateful. Sometimes they do nice things, like take you out for ice cream, but they'll beat your ass the next day because you dropped a single grain of rice on the floor and didn't pick it up.

     It's emotionally exhausting. It's like hands grabbing different halves of your soul and pulling it in opposite directions. It fucking blows.

     This. Fucking. Blows.

     I want out. How do I get out? Who could I tell?

     I don't want to bother my friends or their parents. Who wants to take in a broken runaway? Who'd want to deal with the trauma of an abuse victim?

     I would, but I could never make it on my own. Not yet. That shouldn't have to be something I resort to. I'm still a child. I'm barely 16, I'm still a first-year.

     Aizawa.

     No, he only looks out for me. He's too busy to take care of a child. He's a teacher by day and a hero by night, there's no room in his day for one of his students with daddy and mommy issues.

     God, that's all I am.

     Fuck my life.