024. who to trust

( 𝒉𝒖𝒎𝒂𝒏𝒊𝒕𝒚'𝒔 𝒇𝒂𝒖𝒍𝒕𝒔 )
twenty four.『 WHO TO TRUST

          IT WAS A CRUEL GAME

          IT WAS A CRUEL GAME. That was unquestionable. But now, the game seemed to be laughing at Indie who could barely move as her eyes set on the sparkling water. Laughing at her. Taunting her as it splashed against the pedestal she now stood on, trying her best to get her bearings and remind herself that this was just water.

That's all it was.

Water.

She had been bitten, torn apart, nearly killed, and now she couldn't focus as the water pushed against her pedestal.

As though distantly, she could hear the countdown. But her heart hammered louder than the countdown in her chest. Her ears rang with familiar screams of the girls and boys from five years ago who were no more. A green scaly creature burst from the water. . .

She took a breath, closing her eyes and trying to calm herself. Focus on anything but the water. But what if it happened again. What if as she prepared to jump in something shot out and snatched her up in its jaws and crushed her bones? What if this was payback for fighting back? For the careers she's pushed into the water without a second thought, killing them in horrible ways she could never imagine?

She couldn't jump.

It was suicide.

She'd die the second she jumped in. The scaly beast from her memories and nightmares coming back to haunt her in one harsh blow.

Vaguely she heard someone call her name, and opened her eyes, looking over to see Finnick on the pedestal next to her. He was saying something but she couldn't hear. She looked away, looking around seeing twenty seconds on the clock. She focused on anything but the splashing water. A jungle surrounded it. She wasn't accustomed to the thickness of the jungle, nor the vines or the thick trunks and green plants she didn't recognize. It was so thick she couldn't see what was in there.

What horrors would it hold?

"Indie! Indie!" She looked around, to see Finnick still looking at her.

Everything was clearer now. The water was just water. No one was screaming. There was only the banging of the gong.

"Find Mags!"

Indie nods in understanding. She can still feel her heart hammering as time ticks down slowly, but she knows what to do. Get to the strip of land several meters away, more so than she was used to swimming. But she could make it. It was doable. How long it would take her, that was the question.