025. gift of breath

( 𝒉𝒖𝒎𝒂𝒏𝒊𝒕𝒚'𝒔 𝒇𝒂𝒖𝒍𝒕𝒔 )
twenty five.『 GIFT OF BREATH

"PEETA!" The sound of Katniss' despairing scream causes Indie's heart to plummet

This wasn't the way things were supposed to go. No one was supposed to die. Right now they should be safe. They should be in the Capitol, watching younger tributes battle it out. Instead here they were, in a jungle and a no longer breathing boy, no older than eighteen with his new "wife".

Indie stands motionless watching Katniss shake Peeta, trying to wake him. Nothing works. And Indie prepares to head the sound of the cannon that would most likely turn Katniss against them. Katniss slaps Peeta, in hopes to wake him but it's no use — his heart has already failed and everyone knew that. Indie could picture people in the Capitol watching with bated breath, sitting on the edge of their seats dramatically, some crying as though sharing the pain that Katniss was feeling now.

Useless, helpless. That's how Indie feels as she watches Finnick set Mags down, rushing to Peeta and Katniss' side, the distressed girl still sobbing. He pushes her out of the way, and noticing how Katniss goes to attack Indie finally moves, placing her hands on Katniss' arm and shaking her head, Katniss caught off guard by the girl.

"He can help," Indie says, but she's not certain about this. She doesn't know what he can do once the boy has stopped breathing.

But Katniss heeds her words, turning anxiously to Finnick and Peeta. She may not trust them, but perhaps she knew that she was getting nowhere as Finnick closes Peeta's nose, opening his mouth and kissing him. Or at least, that's what it looks like. He isn't kidding him, but instead blowing air into his lungs. Indie remembered Katherine once calling this, "The breath of life". Although she'd been so young when Katherine brought it up she wasn't positive what she meant.

Finnick unzips the top of Peeta's jumpsuit, beginning to pump the spot over Peeta's silent heart. Katniss seemed to come to the realization of what he was trying to do, and relaxed more, tears streaking down her face as Indie tries keeping her calm.

Minutes pass, and Indie feels Katniss sink into her arms, leaning into her. Giving up hope, Indie realizes. Because Peeta might as well be counted as a dead man at this point. He hadn't breathed in minutes. No sign of a heart beat. And Finnick's method and rhythmic work were doing nothing.

That was until a small cough could be heard.

Immediately Katniss sat up, pulling away from Indie who also straightened up, looking in awe between Finnick and Peeta who was now taking deep breaths of air.