033. beetee's plan

( 𝒉𝒖𝒎𝒂𝒏𝒊𝒕𝒚'𝒔 𝒇𝒂𝒖𝒍𝒕𝒔 )
thirty three.『 BEETEE'S PLAN

THE NATIONAL ANTHEM PLAYED, the sound boomed across the arena and she knew it was reaching the ears of those few that were left

THE NATIONAL ANTHEM PLAYED, the sound boomed across the arena and she knew it was reaching the ears of those few that were left. Part of her hated to look to the sky, be reminded of what she had lost that very morning. God, it seemed like so long ago. Not just a few hours. But it felt like days. She sat, looking up towards the fake sky with everyone else waiting for the faces to appear above her.

Cashmere. Gloss. Wiress. Mags. . . Isaac. Indie looks down at that, feeling sick as she licks at the fish Finnick had caught for them before looking back up. The morphling. Blight. Geralt.

Eight dead.

Fifteen total.

Nine left alive.

All within two days. Not even two days, she amends in her head. All within a day in a half.

"They're really burning through us," Johanna comments.

"Who's left?" Finnick asks, looking around. "Besides us six and district two?"

"Chaff," Peeta answers without hesitating, as though he'd been counting everyone down. Perhaps he had been.

A parachute comes from the sky, and everyone looks to it. Within it I'd a pile of bite sized rolls and Indie doesn't recognize the District that they belong to. Peeta does though, speaking up and saying, "These are from your District, right Beetee?"

"Yes, from District 3," Beetee confirms. "How many are there?"

Finnick counts them, turning each of them over in his hands before setting it down neatly. After a moment he announces, "Twenty four."

"An even two dozen then?" Beetee questions.

"Twenty four on the nose," Finnick says. "How should we divide them?"

"How about we all start off with three?" Indie suggests.

Johanna nods. "And that way who's ever alive at breakfast can vote on the rest," Johanna says, and Katniss let's put a small laugh. Johanna turns and gives her a pleased look at that.

Deciding it's best to go to the ten to eleven o'clock area after the wave floods the beach, they all head over so hopefully they'd get a good twelve hours of uninterrupted peace from the jungle, at least. Indie grimaced when they hear a clicking, sounding like a bug noise coming from the next wedge, and scoots farther away from it, knowing whatever in there was truly unpleasant.

Peeta and Katniss volunteer for first watch, and no one complains, the others all ready to go to sleep and sleep peacefully. Plus, Indie thinks they want alone time, and doesn't want to be the one that intrudes on their happily ever after. So she lies down and closes her eyes next to Finnick, who is already asleep but she can see that it isn't a good one as he tosses and turns slightly, muttering something every now and again and with that she falls asleep.