001. the reaping

( 𝒉𝒖𝒎𝒂𝒏𝒊𝒕𝒚'𝒔 𝒇𝒂𝒖𝒍𝒕𝒔 ).
one.『 the reaping 』

𝐈𝐍𝐃𝐈𝐄 𝐖𝐀𝐒 𝐔𝐏 𝐇𝐎𝐔𝐑𝐒 𝐁𝐄𝐅𝐎𝐑𝐄 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐇𝐏𝐑𝐍 𝐒𝐎𝐔𝐍𝐃𝐄𝐃, blasting through District 5 creating a long lasting, echoing noise that brought shivers to the fifteen year old's body and to anyone who heard it

𝐈𝐍𝐃𝐈𝐄 𝐖𝐀𝐒 𝐔𝐏 𝐇𝐎𝐔𝐑𝐒 𝐁𝐄𝐅𝐎𝐑𝐄 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐇𝐏𝐑𝐍 𝐒𝐎𝐔𝐍𝐃𝐄𝐃, blasting through District 5 creating a long lasting, echoing noise that brought shivers to the fifteen year old's body and to anyone who heard it. She sat on the edge of her bed, which was already made as she got nervous and had cleaned up, wondering if she'd be home by the end of the day to tidy. She knew this was the way that every child in the District was feeling, or in any District. With the exception of the first three, who would've been done with the reaping by now, district four in the middle of it or just starting their's.

Katherine Marsh walked into the room, to see her younger sister sitting on her made bed, clenching and unclenching her fists that rested on her legs. "Relax," she chided, although she was just as worried. Her days of having her name put in a class jar were over, but her sisters certainly weren't. "I have a feeling that they won't pick you. I feel we are in the safe zone." She tried to reassure, but from the look of Indie's face, she didn't believe her.

"You day that every year." Indie argued before standing and walking to Katherine who handed her a jean dress that she wore every year. Katherine tried for a smile to help her sister, but it came out as a grimace instead.

"And every year I'm right." Katherine said, and Indie frowned, pursing her lips as she felt Katherine's soft hands reaching out for her, to bring her into a hug. "I love you, you know." She whispered softly and Indie nodded against Katherine's chest, accepting the embrace.

"I love you too."

"Now put that dress on, want you to look nice even if you don't go." Katherine says, pulling away and Indie lets her sister slip through her arms. "I'll help you with your hair. After years of experience in doing this thing, I think you'll find I know a little something." Indie smiled slightly, despite the absolutely awful situation she was going into.

She just hoped her sister was right in believing she wouldn't get picked in the reaping where her name rested three times, seeing as her sister wouldn't let her put her name in any extra, despite the fact the it would provide them with more food that they definitely needed since they hadn't had a lot to eat for a while now, and perhaps it sounds a little dramatic but Indie thought she was starting to get tremendously thin, but she never told anything to Katherine who worked hard for the food they got, also not letting Indie drop out of school to help her sister design new techniques of getting energy to the beloved Capitol.

This was the one day of the year, that Indie ever actually focused on how she looked. She remembered when she was little, and stood in the crowd of adults and young one's, holding her neighbor's hand as she watched the reaping take place and crossing her small chubby fingers as she watched her sister stand among the rows of kids. She might've been young but she remembered knowing the fear of what was going on, feeling dead roll off the people around her. She also remembered how nice the girls and boys that walked up onto the stage were dressed. Not a hair out of place. Wearing their best clothes for the special. . . occasion.