015. the announcement of doom

( 𝒉𝒖𝒎𝒂𝒏𝒊𝒕𝒚'𝒔 𝒇𝒂𝒖𝒍𝒕𝒔 ).
fifteen.『 the announcement of doom 』

      OVER THE LAST FIVE YEARS OF MENTORING, INDIE HAD GROWN ACCUSTOMED TO LOSS

OVER THE LAST FIVE YEARS OF MENTORING, INDIE HAD GROWN ACCUSTOMED TO LOSS. She had always done everything in her power to make sure that the two that were thrown into the games would come back, but in the last five years, none of them had. She had grown used to returning home, no children safe but the worst time it had ever happened was when they left with a twelve year old, who had three younger siblings who asked her to try and save their brother.

And she failed.

She had thought that would be the worst of it. Failing to protect a child. Failing to protect a child for his siblings.

But this year, was the seventy fifth hunger games, and Indie had no doubt that this year would be much worse. For it was a Quarter Quell, the special event to happen every twenty five years in celebration. Things were changing, yes, but this Quell would ultimately be the worst Hunger Games she would mentor, she was sure of that.

She had no idea what would separate this year from the rest. Would it be all girls? All boys? Would they double the size of the amount of kids to be reaped? What would be so special about this year that would make it anyone's worst nightmare? Because she knew, it would most certainly be the worst thing that was to ever come. To somehow get the districts in check, remind them of their place, remind them that no one was safe, even with the hope that the girl on fire provided.

Her house was quiet, as she silently drank in peace, not enough to become as drunk as Haymitch Abernathy, but enough that she it slightly dulled the thoughts in her head.

The front door creaked open, the sound echoing around the silent house so that Indie could easily hear it. She didn't flinch, having already expected the door to crack open sometime before the Presidential Speech, that would announce the Quarter Quell, only fifteen minutes from that moment, the screen already showcasing the Panem symbol in the other room as she waited, anxiety bubbling in her stomach as she waited for something to happen.

She stayed sitting at the wooden table, a single bottle in front of her as she waited for the woman to walk in, never looking up from the bottle as she sat silently, keeping her thoughts to herself. When Katherine entered, kicking off her shoes with a great sigh of relief as her ankles had begun to grow and she needed new shoes, Indie glanced up to see her sister.

"Shouldn't you be resting?" Indie asked, sending a glance to the baby bump that was very prominent as she started to end her second trimester. "Katherine, you really need to start thinking of the baby and less about me." I did stated, getting up and pushing the bottle to the side, already forgotten as she walked over to help her sister remove the coat from her shoulders.