019. the new training center

( 𝒉𝒖𝒎𝒂𝒏𝒊𝒕𝒚'𝒔 𝒇𝒂𝒖𝒍𝒕𝒔 ).
nineteen.『 the new training center 』

WALKING NEXT TO ISAAC, INDIE ENTERED THE TRAINING ROOM

WALKING NEXT TO ISAAC, INDIE ENTERED THE TRAINING ROOM. It was just as how she remembered it. Cold, grey and foreboding. Not a place to make friends. A place to train to kill the other twenty three that occupied the room. Or be one of the twenty three, dead in two weeks. Whichever one came first. And based on how the other victors were training, she'd be the latter. Well, at least either way this would be her last time in here.

The victors who were already gathered were training hard, and it was odd to see them wielding weapons. Of course, she had seen most of their games, but back then most of them were younger. These people weren't the same teenagers they once were. They'd be twice as deadly, having years of experience and having analyzed every single games that there could be. Knowing all the moves and tactics possible.

Indie looked between the different stations, most of the weapons training ones were occupied, not that she was any good with weapons other than knives so it seemed pointless to even try and pick up a spear or sword. She had tried that before and hadn't worked out the way she had wanted it to. She slowly started to walk towards the traps station, not seeing anyone there, remembering how in the past few months she had trained with Stephanie, practicing different traps they could use if their names were called during the Reaping. She remembers how she had suspected all along that Stephanie would try and pull something should her name be called, prepared for how she would need to stop her. But back then, it was all just a dream that had finally become reality.

Reality was a bitch.

She lazily practiced the traps from her corner of the room in a crouched position, watching the last few victors walk in and immediately set to their chosen station. Some of them were quite obvious, the two from six, Edith and Magnus, the morphlings, moved to the one with all the paints and other things to practice their techniques to blend in with their background. Beetee and Wiress moved to practice their nature techniques, staying away from the weapons and sitting near her.

"I could teach you how to catch fish, you know."

Indie looked around, spotting Finnick as she finished her snare trap, which clearly wasn't the best but would be effective for catching something. She gave him a light smile, before saying, "Why'd I need to do that if you're going to do all the work for me?" She looked back to her trap, before triggering it to make sure it would work, next to her feeling Finnick crouch down. "I'd prefer not to go near water anyway."

She had to suppress a shudder, the memory of the scaly creature shooting out of the water and attacking the others, barely leaving her alive. It had been five years since she had gone past a bigger body of water, the memories still sharp in her mind. Hell, it was hard to get into a bathtub without remembering the way that the creature had come out of nowhere, killing the others around her and the way she barely escaped. She couldn't go near a body of water again. Never again.