009. call of the wild

( 𝒉𝒖𝒎𝒂𝒏𝒊𝒕𝒚'𝒔 𝒇𝒂𝒖𝒍𝒕𝒔 ).
nine.『 call of the wild 』

𝐌𝐀𝐘𝐁𝐄 𝐈𝐓 𝐖𝐀𝐒 𝐍𝐎𝐓 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐁𝐄𝐒𝐓 𝐈𝐃𝐄𝐀 𝐓𝐎 𝐏𝐀𝐒𝐒 𝐎𝐔𝐓 𝐖𝐇𝐄𝐍 𝐓𝐇𝐄𝐑𝐄 𝐖𝐄𝐑𝐄 𝐏𝐄𝐎𝐏𝐋𝐄 𝐓𝐑𝐘𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐓𝐎 𝐊𝐈𝐋𝐋 𝐘𝐎𝐔

𝐌𝐀𝐘𝐁𝐄 𝐈𝐓 𝐖𝐀𝐒 𝐍𝐎𝐓 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐁𝐄𝐒𝐓 𝐈𝐃𝐄𝐀 𝐓𝐎 𝐏𝐀𝐒𝐒 𝐎𝐔𝐓 𝐖𝐇𝐄𝐍 𝐓𝐇𝐄𝐑𝐄 𝐖𝐄𝐑𝐄 𝐏𝐄𝐎𝐏𝐋𝐄 𝐓𝐑𝐘𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐓𝐎 𝐊𝐈𝐋𝐋 𝐘𝐎𝐔. Out in the open with hardly any protection and not in the most hidden of places. Without anyone watching your back as you were hunted. But no matter what, Indie had once again fallen asleep with a bandaged leg that had blood peaking through, cuts and scratches covering the rest of her body. Her hair was a rats nest, leaves hanging in it her brown locks of hair in tangles. Her sister would either scold or laugh at her state, (excluding the scratches) if she was back in District Five. She was curled into a small ball, leaves concealing her and she blended in rather well to the tree which must've been what the designers were going for. She leaned against one of the limbs that formed a triangle around her sleeping spot, and the only thing she had not going against her was being completely silent and not snoring.

But the peace in her area didn't mean it was so peaceful everywhere, for not to far from her a bloodcurdling scream echoed and she sat up quickly, having not been sleeping too deeply. She had never been a deep sleeper which must've come in handy in these games. She looked around for the noise before realizing it wasn't near her or in her specific area. Still, Indie stayed alert and waited, and five seconds later another scream echoed. Feeling her heart hammering against her chest, she winced and pushed herself up, using the tree to hold her up. Two cannons sounded and she breathed deeply. Two dead. Only ten left. The game makers must be pleased with how fast this was moving.

She kept silent, scooting back and farther into the tree, ignoring the pain she felt in her leg as she squatted down to look through the tree branches. She was engulfed in silence with the exception of crickets and the wind rustling the leaves every now and then. It was once again dark, leading her to guess she had slept throughout the day, unless there hadn't been any kills and she hadn't woken to the sound of a cannon. A branch creaked steadily and she held her knife firmly, hearing a sound other than the wind and crickets. It started off as a soft murmur, but disappeared soon after.

Slowly, she sat back down, hissing slightly when the pain in her knee reminded her of what had previously occurred. However it couldn't mask the growling of her stomach and for a second she completely forgot she had shoved a dead thing in her bag. She opened it up, and pulled thing out by the head, so the tail hung down. She examined it closely, before a small nagging voice in the back of her mind told her she knew what it was. Glaring at it, her eyes widened realizing it was a snake. How could she have been so stupid? Her grandmother used to show her a collection of snake skins when she was six before she passed away, and she was left in the hands of Katherine. Some could've venomous, or some could just kill you by squeezing you. And looking at it, realizing it had no fangs she determined it was a simple python, meant for squeezing things to death.