Chapter Fourteen

"Astrid, Astrid calm down!" I laughed unsurely.
"No! Heather, it's almost Christmas! Everyone's coming over! Hiccup's parents, my family, yours, our friends and their families, and all of their kids! I still need to-" she started.

The baby monitor went off as her baby started crying.
"Oh Thor! I forgot about the ear infection! Where are the drops?!?"

She dropped the spoon and I continued to stir as Valka came in with Stoick.

"WHERE ARE THEY?!?" Astrid exclaimed.
"What's going on?" Valka asked.
"The baby's ear drops, Astrid can't find them." I explained.
"Oh Ash, those are expired. I have some right here." Valka said.

Astrid turned and took them.
"Thanks!"
"Astrid, I can help, I can take care of the baby!" Valka said, following Astrid to the steps.
"I'd love to take care of the baby! Stoick can we please have another baby?!?"
"Valka, that ships sailed...in fact it sank." Stoick laughed.
"...Right..."

I rolled my eyes as I placed the cookies in the oven.

"It's ok honey, it's ok! Mommy's here." We heard Astird sigh over the radio.

She started to shhs her baby as it whimpered.
"It's ok...I know, I've had a rough week too. It's almost Christmas, we're all alone, daddy hasn't called me since he left... Oh sweetie..." We heard her sob.

We all looked at each other.
"I'm sorry...I just hope I can give you the wonderful life that you deserve..." She cried.

I stared at the two Haddocks who were looking at each other. I felt a knot in my stomach. Fishlegs and I have been so busy with our little boy that we haven't stopped to help, Astrid, even though she's been all alone with her four month old, two dogs, and a full time job.

What kind of friends are we?