The Sweetest Sunlight, Three - Age 9 (Elena POV)

Walking through the bright and merry streets of Orynth a step behind my mother's swishing green skirts and cape, I smile in the warm sun that I've missed in the long days of dreary downpour that lasted over a week.

For the past eleven days, Almuru and I amused ourselves by exploring the locked and hidden away rooms and passages of the castle. But seeing as we'd found most everything of interest the last time we had bad weather, there wasn't much new to see.

Matters only got less interesting when he had to go back to Pyranth and left me to sit by the teary window as I watched him leave. And I ended up reading a great deal, including the books that Uncle Dorian sent to my mother, and most likely weren't the appropriate age for me. But who's to say when it comes to fae aging.

But now with the rail clouds fallen within themselves to the bright spring grass, it seems everyone has made time to go out for a stroll. Workers and privileged alike walk the streets with a common gladness of the weather change, and the streets are fuller than I've seen in a while both with the people who call this place home and with the joy, pride, and purpose that makes us who we are.

Keeping pace just a step to my mother's left walks my father and a step behind him to guard the rear, walks my Uncle Aedion, no longer wearing his white wolf skin draped over his shoulder, but the sword of Orynth still strapped to his back; and I don't fail to miss the whispers and hushed praises that echo in my fae ears at the sight of it.

Hearing my own name get voiced somewhere in the crowd, I turn from the road ahead of me and look off to my right and into the crowd of people - fae and human alike, but a people all the same.

As I slide my eyes over the crowd, some bow their heads politely, but others smile back, and wave their hands in greeting and in invitation. However, as I find myself stepping in the direction of the crowd and away from my parents, I feel something soft and strong brush against my leg and look down to see the massive white wolf staring at me with onyx eyes.

Tho most can't find the difference in his pitch-black eye coloring when he's happy or sad when in wolf form, I've somehow always been able to. Maybe it's just a wolf thing. But for whatever reason, I, unfortunately, can very clearly see the hard set-ness in his eyes.

"Yes, yes, I know," I say silently with a sigh. As he seems to take it upon himself to become my personal watchdog on outings, he always has an eye on me and manages to somehow follow when I slip off on my own. But I won't do that now, not when we're already headed to the place I would escape to.

Quickening my pace to catch up with my parents, strong paws trotting along beside me, I resume my place at my mother's right. I pull my shoulders toward myself in anticipation. And as we turn the final corner and the bakery comes in view, I can't stop the smile that spreads across my lips.

***

"You're Majesties," Rondel bows deeply as we enter the warm shop. My father nods politely and I can sense Uncle Aedion doing the same from behind where I stand. The door dings open once again and I know Fenrys has entered in his fae form as well, only enhancing the immortal thrum of power radiating off of us, but I shake it off and tug every bit of power of mine deep inside me as I slip away from my mother's right side and to the edge of the counter when I see Coen entering from the backroom.

"Enjoying the sun?" He asks by way of greeting and I plop down on one of the bar stools, my sky-blue skirts swishing around me slightly. One of my more simple dresses, but I find these days I'd rather wear less extravagant clothes when going out.

"I was surprised not to see you out there with everyone else." I greet back as he strides to the space next to me and leans his arms on the counter to face me.