Words in Captivity, Three - Age 20 (Elena POV)

AHH! Thank you guys so so much for the 15k reads!! I love you all!

This is a chapter, which I have been waiting for, for a long long time.
Enjoy! 💛

.

"It seems you've been rather busy forming attachments these last few months."

-

There have only been a few instances throughout my life when I have been royally pissed. This, just so happens, to be one of them.

Ever since I was a child, boundaries between myself and Fenrys have been... blurry. He will say or do things to me that others would never so much as think to say or do and vice versa. It's just the way we have always been. So, all in all, it's unsurprising to find him in my room without an invitation. But reading not just one or two but many of my personal letters is crossing the line.

I walk over to him on legs that shake with anger and snatch my letters from his hands. "What I do or who I do it with is none of your concern," I say sharply. 

"You are the future queen of Terrasen. What you do and who you do it with is everyone's concern." He argues back.

"In case you haven't noticed, both my parents are fae and immortal, meaning I won't be queen for hundreds of years if not thousands. I might be the future queen, but that future is far away. Right now, I am just the princess, and I don't have to inform every member of my mother's court each time I have a lover."

Fenrys grows furious at my words. His lips pull back as he begins to snarl but he's cut off when I start to fold the letters back up and pause. "Did you tear my letters!?"

His body relaxes slightly and he crosses his arms in a self-righteous manner. "It's not my fault if his paper is as delicate as his character." He says with a nod to the letters.

"Oron is not the only one with a delicate character around here," I mutter and move around him to place the letters back on my desk.

When I turn back around to face him, he's already positioned to face me fully. "What are you doing in my room, Fenrys?" I ask slowly.

He gives me a pointed look at the letters again. "I was dropping one of those off for you. It seems congratulations are in order." Every single bit of his body tenses as if about to lunge into battle. "I didn't realize you'd found your mate at Mistward."

My eyebrows narrow. Confusion washes over me until I remember how Oron will often sign his name at the end of the letters. And then a chuckle-turned scoff flows from my lips. "Why do I get the feeling you're doing anything but congratulating me right now?"

His eyes sharpen. "You didn't answer my question." he snarls.

"You never asked me a question to begin with." I snarl right back. I know I'm not being entirely honest with him, but I'm mad, and it's hard to be kind when you're as pissed as I am.

"Is. He. Your. Mate?" Fenrys spits out.

A slow smile overtakes my lips. "You seem to think he is."

"Answer the fucking question, Elena." He grows.

I've never seen him like this before. I don't care. I'm too mad to care.

"When Oron and I first met, we took one look at each other and that was it," I say with a simple shrug. I'm not technically lying. That did happen. Our story wasn't a slow burn.

"And how do you know what you feel for this pigeon is the mating bond and not just young attraction?" He asks and I roll my eyes.

I blow out air through my nose and level a look at him. "Sometimes, there are things you just know."