The Sweetest Sunlight, Six - Age 16 (Elena POV)

"Let's go to a place only we know."

.

The late summer sun filtered through the golden leaves of the large willow tree shines warm and liquid on my closed eyes and strokes down my cheeks and neck down to my chest where Coen's arm lies wrapped around my waist.

When we first arrived it was mid-morning and we spent the hours talking and laughing until our growling stomachs brought the conversation to a halt and we devoured the bounty of sweets and goods from the bakery that Coen had made for us: plum tarts, apple cinnamon bread, chocolate lace, chocolate truffles, and a chocolate cream cake rolled and frosted to look like a forest log, plus puffs of caramel marshmallow made by his mother for the two of us.

After finishing each and every little bit of the sweet feast, we gulped down water from the fresh stream and settled down where we are now for a little late afternoon nap under the tree. Lying in the grass against a small hill made by one of the roots of the tree, our backs are propped up slightly, with our eyes shaded by the turning foliage of the season.

Coen lies slightly above me in the grass so that he can use his arm and tuck me to his side and let my head rest on his chest, soothingly rising up and down with the beat of his human heart. Immortal hearts beat as well, but they sound different and do not pound in the same way. I like his heart, I like hearing it beat. No one's heart beats in the same way his does.

The rhythm of his heart increases as he stirs from our doze, and I listen as the beat speeds up slightly and then soothes again, but it does not go back to the same pattern as before, and when he picks his other arm to brush back some loose strands of my hair I know that he is fully awake and taking the time to gaze at me.

His heartbeat increases again as I feel his eyes remain on me, and as his chest warms as well, I feel my own heartbeat grow as if to match his. And I try to remain still as to let him stare at me all he wants, believing that I'm still asleep.

But then I sense his scent change into something of sadness, and my stomach starts to drop. Not wanting to scent it anymore, I do all I can to block it out and focus on his heartbeat, but I can no longer take the stillness and start to move slightly as if waking up.

Coen's arm tightens slightly on my waist and starts to move his fingers in soothing strokes along my stomach and side as to help wake me up, and as I burrow my head slightly into his chest, I feel him lean closer and press a kiss to my forehead.

"I know you're already awake," Coen whispers against my skin, and I fight the urge to tense in his arms, but then I give in to it and let a smile cover my lips.

"You always do, don't you?" I hum and lazily pry open my eyes to meet his chocolate orbs staring down at me.

"Actually, most of the time it's just good guesswork and as for just now, you were the one who confirmed it for me." he smiles, pleased with himself and I flop my head onto his chest as I roll my eyes.

Damn it!

"Oh no need to sulk, my dear," he coos down at me and uses his other hand to stroke my hair, "I enjoy it as much as I know you do."

"Oh, very funny." I huff as I pull myself out of his embrace to sit up and face him.

"Was it? I intended it with all seriousness," he says with a fake innocent smile and I frown and slap his shoulder only for him to grab my wrist and pull me down on top of him.

"You are a menace." I smile down at him from on top of his chest and brace my hands on his shoulders.

"Thank The Lord Of The North for that, I'd hate for you to grow bored of me." he draws lazily and winks up at me.