Words In Captivity, Two - Age 20 (Elena POV)

AN:
Guys!! thank you soo much for the 14k reads! I love you all so much!!
Also a very Happy Belated Birthday to @faebuzzard 💜

enjoy!

.

Elena pov:

I leave Fenrys's side the first chance I get – a coward's move, but one I make nonetheless.

After the final players were caught, leaving me the last and the winner, Fenrys and I headed back towards the field filled with spectators, meeting an annoyed ghost leopard on the way down.

There was the official crowning and congratulations and then everyone hiked back to the castle. The fact that Fenrys stayed to watch the show – watch me – didn't go unnoticed.

He shifted into fae form around the time I was named winner of the Hunt. I, of course, had to shift back before then. And when we were shoved into the same wagon to be brought back to the castle of Orynth, I claimed a seat not next to his but not far either.

He looked at me. I looked at him until my nerves spiked and I looked away. And still, we did not talk.

It wasn't until we got through the gates, into the courtyard, and up into the castle halls – empty but for us – that he stops walking abruptly and turns to me.

"You pounce on me the first chance you get, but now won't look at me for longer than a second." He says in his usual drawl, though his eyes look slightly haunted. "What happened, Princess? Lose your audacity?"

My chin tilts upward and I lock my eyes to his. "Don't flatter yourself; I get bored easily."

"Is that what you tell yourself?" He laughs and shakes his head. "Well, perhaps I'm not giving you the benefit of the doubt. People are known to blush excessively when viewing someone they have no interest in."

The red that crawls up my cheeks is not embarrassed but angry... and I'm not sure why. "Is that why your cheeks are rosy?" I ask with a mean smile. "I had no idea you'd given up on me."

The words burn on my tongue. And it's only when I watch him draw back slightly that I realize why; because I'm still hurt that he left without saying anything. I don't care that there was nothing he could have done, or that the situation was not ideal. I'm mad that he left. Not necessarily at him. I'm just... mad that he left me.

"No need to act so jealous, Princess." He says with a slightly dangerous glint in his eye and takes a step closer. "You know I'll always make time for you."

"I did know that," I say and drop my smile. "I'm not sure I believe that anymore."

"Gone into denial, have we?" He asks, taking another step closer.

I'm not even sure what exactly we're talking about anymore.

"Whatever you need to tell yourself to make yourself sleep at night," I reply.

"Bold of you to assume I sleep at night as opposed to engaging in other... activities."

My attention snags on the suggestive meaning in his words and I find my stomach churning as my cheeks heat. For some reason, the thought of him... with company rubs me the wrong way.

"How diplomatic of you to comply with females from other kingdoms." I try to say evenly though my voice waves slightly.

"I was referring to late-night training and council meetings." He says with a sly smile. "What an adventurous mind you have, Princess."

Asshole.

I know he was most definitely not talking about working late.

Movement in the air around us catches my attention, and I scent my uncle Aedion coming around the corner a few yards before he does.