The Hunt, Two - Age 11 (Elena POV)

AN:
Hello everyone!
As I'm sure you already know SJM posted on her instagram the new title for Acotar 4!!!

AAHHHH I CANT CONTAIN MY EXCITEMENT!!

Anyways... if you haven't seen it yet go check it out!! 🥳🥳

Ok, let's do this!

.

"And lastly... The predation for Fenrys Moonbeam of Terrasen....." Ren says atop the large wooden platform, facing the viewing stands that overlook the mountain range behind him. The range where we plan to hide and track each other. Everyone in Orynth came to the great field, just to get a glimpse of the thrilling event.

Ren reaches into the great big glass bowl, all but empty now, save for that one last slip of paper with a name. I know who's name it is. He knows who's name it is. We all do.

"Princess Elena Ashryver Whitethorn Galathynius." Ren announces and the crowd goes wild: cheering, clapping, hooting, howling. With the gift of my fae ears, I hear my name being thrown around:

"The princess!"

"Elena Galathynius"

"This ought to be good!"

"Princess Elena!"

"Daughter of the queen!"

"I hear she's the best of all of them!"

"Terrasen's heir"

"I hear her form is a wyvern!"

I chuckle to myself at that last one. No, that would be amazing but not as helpful for this particular game. Though I've practiced with and without the help of my other form, I fully plan to use it today.

Putting on my best gracious but cunning face (or just my natural face) I make my way from the sides, up the freshly polished pine steps and stride to Ren. He smiles, takes my hand, and lifts it to the air. The crowd cheers again, louder this time, and I cast one more nod out to the audience. A nod of appreciation, of respect, a promise to make them proud. And they know it.

Ren releases his hold on me and I make my way across to the second platform where Fenrys stands alone. All the other trackers long since are gone. He smirks at me and offers out a hand. I accept it, letting his large one envelope my small one, and we make a bow together for the audience before exiting the stage together.

We've just about made our way over to where the others await when he stops short and halts me in the process. I look back at him to make sure nothing's wrong, but he merely looks amused. "You think you can hide from me princess?" he emits a deep and dark laugh.

"I'll have wiped myself from existence before you can get a whiff of me." I sneer up at him. Though deep within me I doubt myself. Out of all of my family, all of the members of my mother's court, he's always been the best at tracking me, finding me. But I shove the fact down far and burn it to ashes.

"There is nowhere you can go where I won't find you." He sneers right back, matching my devilish grin.

I buy myself a second and tighten my grip on his hand. "Oh my dear Fenrys, you won't get a hint of my whereabouts till the others have already been found."

Without giving him the chance to respond I release my grip and let my hand slip from his. Let that be his reminder for this little game: I might never escape forever, but I can choose when I want to be found.

Leaving the white wolf behind, I stride to where the other predations wait, throwing grins and winks around before gliding up to Almuru. "So, you still think you've got a chance to win this?"

"Against your mother? Heck no!" he chuckles. Almuru had the unfortunate luck to get chosen as my mother's predation, and the look of dangerous joy she shot at Lorcan didn't help. The others were chosen fairly evenly:

Evangeline and Aedion, Veru and Haeddu (Endymion's mate), Tuuli and Lorcan, and Tama and Lysandra. My father and Vaughan were serving as observers: flying around overseeing the game and making a call when someone has been found. And I fully intend to be the last call.

"You gonna be ok?" he asks, nodding to where Fenrys stands with the other hunters.

"It's nothing I can't handle." I say, narrowing my eyes at the treeline ahead of us. I know these woods, these mountains. This is my home. Almuru and I've spent countless hours exploring every inch of the magical range we could find. Mapping it, tracking it. I can do this.

*in, out. In out.*

The fresh mountain air floods through my lungs, washing into me, soothing my nerves and clearing my head.

"I'm going to win this Ruru." I nod to myself. To anyone else, it would sound braggy, overconfident. But not with Almuru. Don't get me wrong, he's just as competitive as I am, it's one of the things I love about our friendship, but there are some things that we just know have each other's name on them. And this is one of them. Especially now that my mother's going to be tracking him, his chances of winning have dropped dangerously low.

I can feel him following my gaze to the woods before us: our game board. He takes a deep breath and wraps an arm around my shoulders. "Don't worry Lena. You've already won."

***

I speed through the thick woods, darting past trees, leaping over rocks, and bounding across streams. Urging more of the soothing cool air into my lungs, I sprint up the mountain, but careful not to sprint through the clearing at the top, and bound into the shaded darkness of the other side of the mountain. Willing my legs to move faster, I cross a plane in seconds and make for the roaring river.

Sensing movement to my right, I prick my pointed ears: the soft cat feet of Almuru a mile or two away, rustle of leaves from Veru south of me, but someone's close: Tuuli.

She appears at the edge of a field, by the base of the closest mountain. We pause just long enough to nod to each other. Then she disappears up the mountain with the flag of her silver hair flowing behind her. I wonder why she hasn't shifted yet.

Tearing my gaze back to what's ahead of me, I speed away again, following the river to the massive expanse of plane flooded swamp. The only swamp within a hundred-mile radius.

Anyone can play the game. But it takes a brain to win it.

And with that, I plunge through my inner veil and shift into my animal form.

AN:

YAY!!

I was soo excited when I was writing this!! I can't wait for the next chapter, but I'm mean and am going to make you wait till Saturday like always 😈😂

Questions:
What do you guys think her animal form is?

Do you guys think she'll win?

What do you think of having Fenrys/her mate hunt for her?

How much of a chance do you think Almuru has against Aelin?

-Leia 🥰