The First Ray - Age 19 (Elena POV)

AN:
13k reads you guys?!?! AAAAHHH!!
Enjoy the chapter!! Xoxo

.

"Have you always been this much of a pain in my ass?" I huff out as we slow to a stop, finishing our long eighty-mile "cool-down" run after five hours of training and exercise, all of which began at the crack of dawn.

"Oh most definitely," Fenyrs grins from a few feet away, panting slightly after our long workout, but I needed to move, needed to do something and he'd been more than happy to accompany me. "Though I prefer to think of myself as more of a sting in the crotch."

Chuckling a pant of next to no air, I shake my head and roll my aching shoulders, dragging my deadweight arms along with them. You would think that after all my time across the continent training, in addition to everything that I'd learned before, and keeping up with them all, I'd be in decent shape, and though its true muscle of steel is packed onto my nimble fae form, the males of my mother's court always know how to run me ragged, though now I can keep up.

"Should we head back then and get your royal ass to a bath?" Fenrys smirks and pushes himself to stand upright once more.

"Such a nuisance, Moonbeam." I roll my eyes but begin walking in the direction of the castle a good thirty miles away at least.

"Don't get your fur ruffled!" he chuckles starts backing up in the opposite direction. "Come on."

"If you think you're going to make me run another mile, you're as delusional as a worm in the sun." I huff and mentally curse him for making me stop. I honestly don't know if I'll be able to get back home before nightfall.

"Just trust me," I offers a lazy smile, and nods his head to the side.

Grumbling, I turn and follow him through the thick and shaded woods provided by the towering pine trees far older than myself. Stepping over roots, rocks, and moss, my head droops to watch my feet, but my eyes blur with exhaustion and I barely see what's in front of me as my ears start to roar in silence.

I don't know what's wrong with me lately, but for the past year or so now, I've been... distracted. But not in the sense that there's too much on my mind, but that there's not enough, or rather, something missing.

What it is? I have no idea. But ever since coming back from Wendlyn, I've felt different. Like something fundamental has changed within and around me. But I just don't know what it is.

Just as my foot no longer finds ground to stand on, an arm reaches out across my front and a hand latches onto my shoulder, holding me back from falling.

"Easy there," Fenrys chuckles softly and retracts his arm as I take a step back and lift my head, drawing in a sharp breath at the view before me. 

We're standing on the edge of a forest pool guarded by moss-covered rocks and soft grass, smaller than a lake but a large enough size that I know several forest animals have made it their home. The water is clear and blue, but the vibrant fir needles shine an enchanting green into the mirror reflection. And raining down into it from above the great wall of smooth rock flows a waterfall. So I guess it wasn't just the roaring in my ears.

Somewhere, I sense a river flowing from it down deeper into the wood. But I think nothing of it, think nothing of anything, as I close my eyes in a worn exhale, and step off the edge and fall into the depths of the blissfully cool water.

Down, down, down, I plunge, my arms drifting up above my head as I slowly tip back in the soothing water till I lay with the surface above to my horizontal form. There I still and hover somewhere in the depths of the water for as long as my fae lungs will allow.