Shifted Souls, Two - Age 9 (Elena POV)

The first thing I noticed wasn't the dramatic height difference, or feel of my new four limbs on the stone courtyard, but the call of the sun on my fur. The warmth flooding through me like it never has before. Weaving, bending, melting into my new golden coat.

I take a second to merely breathe. I'm not sure what it was about the way Fenrys was teaching me, helping me, but it worked. Like he knew exactly what to say and how to help me. It was like a second skin, lying unused beneath my fae one. Waiting to be brought to light and used. Hidden in the shadows no more, my new form howls.

A wolf. I am a wolf.

A thrill like no other rushes through me like a heatwave. This new body wants to move, wants to run, to chase, to be free. Oh how the Staghorns call to me, like never before. I can feel it. Like a white-hot chain, pulling at my chest toward-

"That's my Kingsflame." The voice of my father snaps me out of my trance and forces my eyes to finally open. The view has changed dramatically! Not only am I a good deal lower than before but my eyes, my eyes are different: sharper, clearer, more distinct. The cobblestones of the courtyard almost seem to jump out at me as I shift my gaze over the stones. The colors are new too. The more vibrant colors have dimmed down, but the grays and blacks...Oh, I can't wait to go out at night!

Shifting my gaze to that of the males standing before me I huff a laugh or whatever way I can in this form. My father's eyes are wide with pride, surprise, and something like understanding, as he smiles down at me with crossed arms. Fenrys on the other hand... I don't think I've ever seen the white wolf look so...shocked. Onyx eyes rake over me countless times as if he can't quite believe what he's seeing. Then something like recognition, and joy settles in and a slow smile spreads across his lips.

"Howleluia." he says, smirking, although I can still sense the shock and unease underneath his layer of teasing. But I shove that thought away as my large ears react to the ring of his voice. So heightened these ears, so calculating. The scurry of a mouse four miles away, the flap of a bird's wings two miles, the padding of a fox's feet seven miles away, the nibble of a chipmunk thirty yards away, everything is heightened, stronger, clearer, more precise. I'd already had amazing hearing as fae, but now...

Too much. Too much.

The scents start hitting me too as the wind blows through my fur, dragging the information of a thousand other beings along with it. Bird, rabbit, skunk, snake, leopard, fox. They all come crashing into me, like flames leaping up a twig. Then the people: human, fae, shifters, healers, magic welders, bane warriors, all different from before, all new in this body.

Too much. Too much.

I can't breathe, can't get enough air down my lungs. I try pulling more air down my long nose but that only brings the scents with it, suffocating me more. Desperately, I shut my eyes, hoping to find relief in the darkness, but only chills and fear await me.

Too much. Too much.

"Easy. Calm down. Relax." The words. The voice. I know they're from Fenrys but, they sound different, quieter, but smoother. "Breathe it all in, let it all wash through you."

The thought of opening myself up again to the explosion of intel shoots fear up my spine, and I can feel myself start to shake.

"Don't be afraid. Let it in, let it speak to you, and then let it out again." Fenrys calls to me, soothing me, helping me.

I don't know what gives me the courage to open my lungs up again, to expose myself to the heat of this new world, but somehow, somewhere I find it and grasp it before it has the chance to leave again. Slowly I open the slits of my nose and breath in.