Gifts for the Given - Age 8 (Fenrys POV)

The theater. The second mating present that Rowan had gifted Aelin after the war, along with the new library. And the now most cherished place in all of Orynth. All for Aelin. All from Rowan. All for her. Mates.

The bond they share is undeniable, unbreakable. Mates. I only wish I could say the same for my own situation, but the time is just not quite right...

"And then what happened?!"

"Then with the help of my reversible costume, I slipped into the crowd no more than a mere viewer under my gray cloak. Those dark bastards never had a whiff of me until I the dust exploded up their asses and I was rescuing your uncle!"

"Whoa!" Elena sighs open-mouthed and eyes wide as she listens to her mother retell (for the fifth time this month) the story of how she rescued Aedion from the King in Adarlan all those years ago.

Rowan, on the other hand, is less pleased to hear the retelling of the tale. Either for the sheer recklessness of his mate and the dangers she took or for repeatedly exposing it to their one and only child. He sits on the other side of the carriage from his mate and daughter, glowering at the both of them as Aelin continues her tale with a dramatic voice and mimes stabbing a few guards with a dagger, and Elena whos eating up every word with shining eyes and a slightly disturbing grin.

I can practically feel the anger and disapproval pouring off of him from the seat next to me, and I, not so subtly, shift an inch or two away from the warrior. It's not like this is an unusual thing either, so he of all people should be used to this, but Rowan apparently, can hold a grudge.

"And just as he was about to swing his sword and slice off my arm, I brought down my curved blade in an elegant arch! Straight through the stomach and into the right kidney! The dark black blood pouring onto my hand as his entrails-"

"AELIN!" Rowan erupts from where he sits on the push green velvet bench and I feel more than hear one of the coachmen getting thrown off the top of the carriage in surprise. Elena must have felt it too, for she sticks her puzzled head out the window, looks around for a minute, and then pulls herself back inside with a shrug.

"I think that's enough storytelling for now," Rowan says a bit more calmly but with a stern expression aimed at Aelin, who matches her daughter's facial expression of horror.

"But father! We were just getting to the best part!" Elena cries mournfully, tugging at her mother's sleeve of fine embroidered satin, and bobs up and down on her seat with excitement. 

"Regardless, you may finish the story some other time. We're almost to the theater." Rowan replies, eyes softening at his child but hardening again when seeing Aelin about to snap a no doubt, foul reply.

I don't know why he tries to keep Elena shielded like he does. Not that I revel in the idea of her hearing about how Aelin gutted a valg or learning how to do the gutting herself (like Aelin has been teaching her), but she's got to learn to protect herself, it's in her blood, her nature. And it's no use trying to stop Aelin when Elena is just as enthusiastic about the whole affairs.

Aelin and Rowan are presumably having one of their mating style silent conversations by the looks they're giving each other, so I take it upon myself to try and cheer Elena up a bit.

"I would have thought you'd be more excited to see the play! You've been yapping about the music room for weeks now!" I tease, and her eyes shoot up from the pine floor of the carriage to meet my own.

"I don't yap! I sing as beautifully as the morning birds!" Elena cries in outrage but her eyes recapture their sparkle. "Besides! I'm more excited to hear the music! One day I want to play in the orchestra!"