Freedom of Flight, Five - Age 17 (Elena POV)

It wasn't nearly as bad as I thought.

It was a thousand times worse.

Seated behind me on Lakia, with his arms fully wrapped around my waist, back nearly flushed with mine, and head practically resting on my shoulder, near the crook of my neck, sits Harlan.

Were this some simple romance novel or an event happening to one of my friends instead of me, perhaps I would be able to see the humor in the occasion, maybe even laugh about it, or continue reading with wide speeding eyes. But this is happening to me. And I do not see the humor in this situation in any way.

What I really hate most, however, is the fact that my stomach flutters like the beating of hawk wings whenever his hands brush against my core or the feverish shivers that wrack through my body when he speaks softly into my ear.

I hate how some part of me wants to throw my dignity to the wind and lean back into him more. How I secretly crave the feel of his warm breath on the sensitive skin by my neck.

Tightening my grip on the hard leather reigns, I clench my already hard jaw and push my shoulders back farther. My magic is already begging to come out and burn every inch of space where our bodies are connected. And yet somehow, the farther I fly from home the quieter the voice inside me screams. The weaker the pull within me is. And I find myself, starting to let go...

"Why so tense deary?" Harlan calls softly into my pointed ear. "You know most girls would be thrilled at the chance to go riding off into the sunlight with me."

"Well in case your ego-filled mind has forgotten, I am fae, not a human girl. And we're on a mission." I grit out.

"There's no need to get feisty now." I can feel him pout from behind me, "I was merely making conversation." 

Nudging Lakia with my left ankle, I steer us a few yards higher to avoid some dense looking clouds. They pass below us swiftly, but I keep us flying at this hight. From where we are the trees look quite small and blurred together, the ginormous rock formations perched on cliffsides no bigger than a carriage.

Flying with a fragile mortal, I have to remember to stay at an altitude where he can get enough oxygen down. A hight lower than an immortal can sustainably fly at without getting light-headed. Nevertheless, the thought of accidentally knocking him out at the high altitude is mightly appealing. But I know the aftermath makes the whole ordeal more trouble than its worth. However, amusing it would be.

"Ignoring me now?" he speaks again, and I feel another tremor in my stomach at the depth of his voice. A tremor that seems to momentarily silence the resisting flames.

"Leave me alone Harlan."

"A tempting proposal due to all the extra room we have up here." he sighs, and a loose strand of my golden hair flutters in his breath.

Picking a spot in the distance, I focus all awareness on that point and let my eyes glaze over softly. I don't want to be thinking of Harlan. I don't want to be thinking about how close we are. And yet, that's all my mind seems to be filled with.

Would it really be so bad to like him? To want him?

YES!

My mind screams back at myself. No. Not my mind. But something else. Another voice deep within me.

What's the harm it could do to flirt with him a little bit?

Dignity! Honor! Responsibilities! Pride! This is not what a princess would do!

But can't I stop being a princess? Can't I let go of the title and the code just for a little bit? Just while I'm here?

The blood which runs through you can never be changed. The Power you hold is nonreversible, as are the decisions and actions that you make.

I'm tired of always doing the "right thing". I'm tired of holding back impulses and secret wishes.

If mother could see you now she'd be ashamed!

Mother would give me a smirk, and tell me to "go play"
So what's the harm in a little game?

"You know I'm starting to wonder if you really do have fire in your veins. You seem more of a frosty princess, or an airhead."

Thick chains and leashes made from frozen iron snap inside me, and my fire comes raging out. Instantly heating the entire expanse of my back and arms to a high degree. Harlan, who was previously wrapped around me, yelps at the sudden temperature and leaps back as far as he can go without falling out of his saddle.

Smelling smoke, I turn my head around and see his shirt and jacket smoldering and steaming, burnt holes covering large patches of his leathers, leaving multiple viewpoints to his tanned skin beneath. Parts of that skin now showing is a splotchy red and I can make out blisters starting to form.

Shit.

Harlan slowly looks down at the state his shirt, the holes, the tears, and the blistering burns, before tilting his head back up to look at me and smiles. "Well damn darling, if you'd wanted me to take off my shirt you could have just asked."

Feeling my cheeks turning a vibrant red, I spin myself back around and bite my lip. Hard.

"Aww come on now," he whines, and once again his arms come up around me. My skin's temperature back down to normal. "Like what you saw?" he whispers, against my ear.

"I prefer what I'm seeing now," I answer honestly. As I don't think I've ever been more thrilled to get off a Ruk. And after countless hours training in the air through the coldest rain and piercing hail imaginable, that's saying something.

Dead ahead of us are the Pass Between Twin Peaks of the Dagul Fells, and what was once home to the Kharankui.

.

AN:
Thank you all for the 3k! I know I haven't been updating as much and Fenrys isn't even really in these chapters, so thank you for continuing to read my flawed work!

Ahh! Things have been getting pretty busy for me lately with school and all.

How's school been for you so far?

Not sure how much I like the ending for this chapter, but for now I'm gonna keep it.

I am however, looking forward to the next two chapters! 👀

Have a good day!
-Leia ✨🌙