𝐓𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲-𝐓𝐰𝐨

CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO:ACCIDENTS HAPPEN

CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO:
ACCIDENTS HAPPEN

SHE SAT THERE IN HER room, hissing as she ran her fingers delicately over the burned skin from jumping in and out of the flames in order to save those people. They weren't too bad, but it would leave a scar, that was for sure. Her wrist was the worse. It throbbed as she carefully wrapped, her jaw clenching desperately as she tried not to show the amount of pain that she was going through. The news was playing in the background, and Salem found herself freezing as she listened.

"11 Wakandans were among those killed during a confrontation between the Avengers and a group of mercenaries in Lagos, Nigeria, last month. The traditionally reclusive Wakandans were on an outreach mission in Lagos when the attack occurred." The news anchor spoke.

That's when the King of Wakanda came on the television, making Salem walk over to standi n front of the television, a small frown covering her face. "Our people's blood is spilled on foreign soil. Not only because of the actions of criminals, but by the indifference of those pledged to stop them. Victory at the expense of the innocent, is no victory at all." Salem huffed before cutting off the television and making her way out of the room and down the hall, stopping when she saw Wanda's door open, the television playing as the witch looked at it.

"They are operating outside and above the international law. Because that's the reality, if we don't respond to acts like these." Another news anchor said. "What legal authority does an enhanced individual like Wanda Maximoff have to operate in Nigeri―︎" At the mention of her girlfriend, Salem was quick to shut the television off. Her jaw was clenched as she looked at the woman who was still staring at the television as if it were still on.

"It's my fault." Wanda spoke.

"No, that's not true." Salem denied, shaking her head as she walked further into the room.

"Turn the TV back on. They're being very specific." Wanda snapped lightly, glancing towards Salem.

"I don't give a damn what they're being specific about." Salem told her, taking a seat beside of the girl. "Wanda, you did everything right. You did what you could―︎"

"And yet, people are dead because of me."

"Wanda, people die." Salem placed a hand over Wanda's, a deep frown on her face. "Trust me when I say it isn't a nice feeling, but it's something you have to live with. Accidents happen."

"This shouldn't have happened." Wanda told her, shaking her head.

"Well, it did. And it sucks. All of us did everything we could in order to get those people to safety. My wrist can attest to that." Salem held up her bandaged wrist and Wanda's frown deepened as she carefully grabbed her wrist, removing the bandage and examining the wound. Salem watched as she started to blame herself, and she sighed. "Wanda. . ."

"You got hurt because of me." Wanda whispered, her voice breaking.

"Sweetheart, I get hurt on literally every other mission." Salem tried, giving a small chuckle. "It's nothing I'm not used to." She carefully wrapped the bandage around her wrist, securing it before looking at Wanda and gently tucking a strand of he girl's hair behind her ear. She shook her head before saying, "Don't blame yourself for me getting hurt. I jumped into that burning building, knowing what could happen. And don't blame yourself for losing control. We're not perfect Wanda. We're going to make mistakes, ones that we wish we could control. You'll think about it over and over, wondering what it was that you could've done in order to fix the inevitable. Trust me, I know."

"We're supposed to be. Mistakes get people killed. The news can attest to that." Wanda muttered. Salem frowned.

"I wish there was something that I could do to make you feel better." Salem softly told her. Wanda glanced towards her before leaning into her. Salem wrapped her arms around Wanda's shoulders, allowing Wanda to rest her head on the teleporter's chest. She pressed a kiss to the top of Wanda's head, holding her in hopes of giving her some kind of comfort. The moment of comfort was ruined when Vision phased through the wall, making Salem jump. "Jesus, Vis!"

"Vis, we talked about this." Wanda warned the android, sitting up as she turned to look at him.

"Yes, but the door was open so I assumed that . . ." He pointed towards the door before noticing the look on the duo's faces. "Captain Rogers told me to come and find you. Mr. Stark has arrived with a guest, and he would like to speak to all of us."

"Thank you, Vis." Salem sighed, offering the android a small smile.

"I'll . . . use the door." Vision mumbled before walking out of the room. Salem chuckled, shaking her head as she looked towards Wanda.

"We became friends with the dorkiest android." Salem spoke, and Wanda nodded her head in agreement. Salem stood up and held her hand out for the woman. Wanda offered her a small smile before accepting the woman's hand, interlacing their fingers, before the duo walked out of the room, and towards the meeting that would change their lives as they knew it.

 Wanda offered her a small smile before accepting the woman's hand, interlacing their fingers, before the duo walked out of the room, and towards the meeting that would change their lives as they knew it