18 no emotional breaks here

For the next week all was calm, Thomson was so happy to have his family home close to his heart again as they got back into routine chores and actual meals they could sit around a table for and talk about whatever. He didn't want it to end but he knew they'd have to go back sooner or later, Wilbur was actually packing now as he had to get back sooner then the others who would be hiding out with Thomson.

Thomson was in the barn tending to some of the animals before lunch when he heard a soft sound. It was a small and strained Moo, he was confused as all his cows were eating. It wasn't till he checked in the pens that he found the source, a tiny little calf so small and frail he almost thought it was some other animal completely, he carefully grabbed a towel and picked up the little one but he had no idea where it could have come from as all his cows hadn't been pregnant and there was no other cows around. He took the calf to the house, it's little body shivering as it was almost the size of a human baby, he figured it must have been a neighbors calf that hadn't been up to standard for their calves. Nonetheless he was happy to have a new little calf but he'd have to care for it himself for a while. When he walked to the house he was surprised to find a package on his doorstep and he picked it up in one hand as he carried the little one inside.

Tommy had been tormenting Wilbur when he walked in but once Tommy's eyes locked on the little calf he stopped and rushed over

"Dad dad- where did you find this one- can I hold it- what's it's name" Tommy's endless questions put a smile on Thomson's face

"I don't know...I think it's a he...why don't you sit down and you can hold him for a bit?" Tommy almost immediately listened and went to the couch eager to hold the calf. Tommy had always loved helping with the animals and it wasn't often they were able to bring in an animal so he was stoked.

Soon Thomson had found a proper animal blanket and he wrapped the little guy up and handed him to Tommy who held him close stars in his eyes as he looked over the weak little guy. He tried to wiggle closer to Tommy and get warmer.

While Tommy sat in awe of the small creature Thomson looked at the package that had been on his front porch. He didn't think he had asked for anything from any neighbors or that he had any special events that warranted a gift of any sort. He brought it to the kitchen and he gently opened the box, inside was a letter and another box. He sighed but opened the letter a bit weary.

'Dear General T. Abel,

Though it's been many years since your time served in the army your dedication and loyalty still bring us pride, we ask that you join us for a grand 20 year celebration since the end of the End wars. The king expects your rsvp as soon as possible and the celebration will be held on the last Sunday of the month'

Thomson's face was pale as he looked at the letter. He didn't realize he was holding his breath until he felt his lungs ache and he took a deep breath trying not to panic.

Thomson had been a different man in a different life, having been the youngest general of his time and the most successful by far for his time. He had been the army general during the End wars, a bloody duo of wars that had plagued the Smp kingdom until he had stepped up and brought new ideas and inevitably the end of the wars and a short lived time of peace for the kingdom. He had left with honor wanting to settle down but dread filled him, he hadn't told anyone of his little home once and to receive this now mortified him for his safety and more importantly his family. Last Sunday was three days out, he had told his kids about his past involvement but none of them imagined this could or would happen.

He looked to the box and with trembling hands he opened it. He stared at its contents for a moment before he was able to pull it out. A suit, reminiscent of the uniform he once wore. He took a deep breath and clenched his fists as he looked it over. He didn't know what kind of cruel joke this could have been but as he saw the official signature of the king on the letter he knew it had to have been true.

He took the letter and suit to his bedroom and laid them on the bed, he'd wait till Wilbur was gone to inform any of them of his trip. When we went back to the living room Tommy was sitting with Y/n and Tubbo who were fawning over the calf. As he sat there looking at his children he couldn't help but smile. To say he regretted his time in the army was to put it lightly but now he had this, three rowdy teenagers and a fine young man all of which he loved more then anything in the world and all four he valued more than his own livelihood.

That night as they had their last meal with Wilbur before he had to leave early the next morning Thomson was a bit quiet

"Dad...um... is something wrong?" Wilbur seemed a bit nervous he was the cause of the silence.

"Well...I...I had intended to tell you when I got home afterwards but I guess I should tell you all before, I've been invited to a celebration at the castle....I know for a fact that none of them know I'm your father but I know that he wouldn't pull this celebration for nothing...I plan to make it brief but... I make no promises." He said as he put his fork down

The table was silent save for the little calf Tommy had named Henry, he was being a bit loud as he demanded attention.

"Dad.. are you sure this is a good idea?" Tubbo seemed nervous as he looked to the older man who seemed to think for a little.

"To be frank with you no...but if i don't they'll be suspicious of me and we can't have that with his eyes on the three of you" he sighed and he rubbed his face "I need to write him back and then leave tomorrow night or early the next day"

"Do we need to leave?" y/n seemed anxious as she looked up at him and played with her hands a bit trying to keep herself from going into a panic. Her hands were gently grabbed by thomson as he saw her panic a bit

"Don't worry.... I'll be back before you know it.. You three should stay here and keep Henry and the farm together for me ok" he smiled softly at them and let her hands go after a moment.

There was no conversation for a while but when Wilbur got up he cleared his throat catching all their eyes ,even Henry who had almost been asleep.

"I..i think it's best if i leave tonight...im ready to go anyway..." he said softly and he took his plate to wash it at the sink. Nobody spoke up but they finished one by one and soon they were hugging him goodbye and helping him load up a horse to go back to L'manburg.

They watched him go all a bit solemn as they saw his figure slowly disappear into the night. Then Thomson ushered them inside and he laid them in the bed, he had finally taken one of the bunks apart to make one large bed for them. He figured he'd just accommodate for them his reasoning being that they didn't deserve to be treated so poorly  after the bull they had been through. They were given each a small kiss to the forehead then the lights were out.

The next day was quiet and tense, nobody wanted thomson to leave not even thomson himself wanted to but he had already sent out his letter and started packing for however long he'd be there though he hoped not long as he only had enough nice clothes for about a week including the suit he had been given.

Y/n soon poked her head in "dad..." her soft tone caught his attention after a bit and he smiled at her

"Yea hun?" He said as he saw her fumble with something

"When you go to the castle can you..can you give something to someone? He helped us too when we were trying to run and helped a bit to make us feel less like prisoners... he's one of the king's right hand men, sapnap- it's not a lot but...it's some gratitude from me and the boys" she had a small bit of red on her cheeks and she handed him a small package wrapped ever so neatly  by her hands. Thomson smiled sweetly at her as he nodded and he gave her a hug  and then let her go back to whatever she had been doing.

The boys hadn't been too pleased to hear that she wanted to send a gift to sapnap but it didn't bother them enough to stop her, they did slip their own letters in though to give him a piece of their mind each.