chapter 47, 48

This Is The Last Time (I Promise)

(Nonnie)

I walked toward the FOB bus, both fists clenched by my side. I didn’t know what I was feeling, I was pissed, I was sad, I even felt guilty. This was supposed to make things easier. The only person I wanted to talk to was Pete and every since that day in the hospital, we hadn’t said a word to each other, but I didn’t care.

When Patrick saw me, he didn’t say a word. He just pointed to the back room. He really didn’t have to tell me where Pete was, I knew that he would be there. “If you wanted to talk to me all you had to do was ask.” I said closing the door behind me. He was lying in the bed facing the wall. Hemmy crawled over to me, and started licking my hand.

“But that wouldn’t have been nearly as fun,” he said turning over to face me. He didn’t smile, he just looked at me.

“Pete…do you think this isn’t hard for me?”

“Sorry I seem to be the only one even a little torn over our break up.”

“Oh you’re the only one who’s hurting?”

“I’m not the one who broke it off.”

“I know I did that, you know why cause it was the right thing to do. After the tour then what?”

“Then you come with me to LA.”

“No, my whole life is in New York. Friends, family everything. All in New York. If I go to LA…”

“What?”

“If I go to LA, and you and I for some reason don’t work out then what?”

“We will work out.”

“Yeah just like the fairy tale right?”

“No…”

“Yes Pete, in the real world things don’t always work out. People don’t stay together forever.” I didn’t want the tears that were building in my eyes to fall, but they had other plans. Which was rather apparent as they spilled down my face. “Pete, I love you. I just know that this can’t work. I wanted this to end on good terms, ‘cause if you remember we were friends before all this started.” he moved to the edge of the bed and reached out putting his hands on my waist and pulling me close to him. I tried my best to resist wrapping my arms around his neck, but once again I couldn’t help it.

“I’m sorry,” he whispered. I had to get away from him before I made things worst. I unwrapped his arms from my waist. “Please Non, just…just for tonight, and tomorrow we can go back to just friends for the rest of the tour. I miss you.” he stood up, it reminded me of my first night sleeping here with him he was inches away from my face. My hand moved to the back of his neck and pulled him into a deep kiss. His arms wrapped around me, crushing our bodies together.

I'd missed him too, I'd missed this. This was the last time, and then we were back to being just friends.

***************************************************************

I snuggled close to his body not wanting to get up. I hadn’t meant to spend the whole night. This was a big mistake I knew it. I removed his hands from around me and got out of the bed. Quickly as I could I got dressed. “Don’t go,” Pete said looking up at me.

“That was a mistake, I shouldn’t have even come here.”

‘No that was… right. That was you where you belong.”

“Pete we talked about this and you said we could go back to being just friends. Please just…please.” I was pleading with him, to just stop loving me. So that maybe just maybe I could stop wanting to crawl back into that bed.