Chapter 25, 26

Chapter 25

(Nonnie)

I ran down a bunch of hallways until I realized I didn’t know where I was. There was still time before the show started. I’d stopped crying and asked one of the workers how to get to the buses.

“Are you okay,” the worker asked.

“I’m fine,” I said lying. I followed his directions and found the buses. I thought for a second: if I go to my bus Travis or Callie could be waiting. I didn’t have the strength to deal with them right now. I changed directions and headed to the FOB bus. I headed straight for Pete’s room nobody but him and Hemmy ever really went in there except me. I walked in and found that Pete was sitting on the bed. He got up and I let his arms engulf me in a hug.

“Are you ok,” he said.

“I should be asking you that,” I said looking at his eye. It was swollen and

slowly turning purple.

“I’m just worried about you.”

“I…I don’t know how I feel,” I said and I honestly I didn’t. On the one hand I was relieved because Pete and I didn’t have to hide anymore. On the other and I pissed cause Callie and Travis were…

“You shouldn’t be mad at them,” he said. I pulled out of the hug. Don’t tell me he’s on their side. I turned to leave but he grabbed my wrist. “Hear me out Non,” he said pulling me to sit on the bed. I took a deep breath and sat down. “They didn’t mean to hurt you. I mean you can’t control who you love.”

“Don’t go there Pete you don’t understand, okay.” I really just wanted to ignore the problem for the night. “Can’t we just lay here ‘til we have to go?”

“Where are you going,” he asked as we both climbed into the bed.

“To the merch table.”

“Are you sure that’s a good idea?”

“Oh yeah,” I said wrapping his arms around me.

Chapter 26

(Callie)

It was five minutes to the gates opening and I was already sitting at the merch table with a book waiting for the large crowd to stampede in. Tonight's show was at a large outdoor amphitheater and it was sold out. I prepared for the worst in case Nonnie didn't show up. But just then Nonnie came strolling up to the booth. I didn't say a word.

"Look, I made a commitment, so i'm here but don't try and act like everything's ok."

"Fine," was all I said.

She sat down and opened up a magazine; I returned to my book. We were doing ok being professional and trying to keep our lines down. Then it was time for Gym Class Heroes to perform. "Oh, look it's your boyfriend Cal," said Nonnie snidely as she slid past me. I rolled my eyes and kept on working.

The crowd died down during GCH's performance so I sat and listened to the music. Suddenly, I heard Travis intro the the next song: "I don't know if any of you have ever been betrayed by a friend but I'll tell you it sucks." Nonnie and I looked at each other. "I found out today that one of my close friends betrayed me by going out with my sister behind my back.. So , to you man, you know who you are. This song goes out to you."

Oh Travis," I said to myself. Nonnie just looked at me with disgust. After Gym Class finished their set we got a huge influx of kids buying merch, it was the biggest crowd we'd ever seen. We were rushing around madly to calm the crowds. Everytime Nonnie rushed past me she would bump into me but I was sure she didn't mean it. "Non, I need a green shirt in a large," I said returning my attention to my customer. The next thing I knew a t-shirt hit me on the side of my face and fell to the floor. When I bent down to pick it up Nonnie bumped into me again. "What the hell is your problem," I exploded.

"Oh I don't know maybe that you are sleeping with my brother and didn't bother to tell me!"

I handed the customer her t-shirt and apologized. "Seriously Non, now is not the time!"

"Oh well that's too bad!"

"Nonnie not now! You said you made a commitment and you came to do a job,. So do it and stop worrying about me!"

We finished up the night with no more problems but as soon as the last customer left all hell broke loose.

"Callie, you don't get to be mad! i'm the one who's hurt..." she yelled.

"Why? We kept a secret from you, maybe because we knew this was how you would act! I'm sorry that we lied but that's all I can do. I can't take it back. What do you want me to do?"

"Stop seeing him!"

"I can't do that Non," I said my voice softening,"I love him."

"Well if you really cared about me you would but obviously you don't," she responded sarting to walk away.

"Hey," I said loud enough to make her stop walking, "If you really cared about me...you would never ask me to do that; but obviously you don't. You're too busy acting like a spoiled brat to care about anyone but yourself or notice how happy your brother makes me."

"Whatever," she said beginning to walk again.

"No," I said causing her to stop again. I jogged to catch up with her. "This time, I'm gonna be the one to walk away," I said looking her dead in her eye before walking off toward the GCH bus.