Chapter 5,6

Chapter 5

(Nonnie)

"What you gonna take us with you," I said sarcastically.

"Yeah, you guys should come on tour with us,"

"As if mom would let me go,"

"I'm sure we could convince her, she knows how much we miss each other, and she knows I won't let anything happen to my girls."

"Are we talking about the same woman who followed the school bus when I started middle school?"

"Well all you gotta do is bat your eyes and you know she'll cave." Callie said. It did sound like a cool way to spend my last summer. "Come on you know you want to."

"You better start thinking how you are going to ask your parents." I knew she didn't really have to ask her parents all she had to say was that my mom let me go and she had a free ticket. "Fine we can ask."

"And if she says no I'll just kidnap the both of you for the summer I mean you are eighteen." They always made me feel like a killjoy.

Just then my mother came down the steps. She had been hiding up stairs during the cookout. "You guys didn't let Matt near the grill did you?"

"Nope, Non's eyebrows will live to see tomorrow." Travis said. "Hey mom, Nonnie actually has something to ask you." I gave him an evil look and he just laughed.

"Mom so you know how this is our last summer of freedom," I started this was going to take some groundwork. "And well, then we will be off to college and Travie will be on tour all the time and we will never get to see each other, he's only going to be here for two weeks," I started to turn on the water works. "And you know how much I miss him. So I was wondering if you would let him take us on a trip. Me and Callie together."

"No." she was totally unaffected by my fake tears.

"Oh, come on mom you didn't even think about it. You don't even know where he's taking us."

"Fine, where is he taking you?"

"On tour with the band."

"Oh so you want me to let my 18-year old daughter and her best friend go on tour with a bunch of horny boys?"

"Come on mom you know I won't let anything happen to them." Travis reasoned. She took a deep breath.

"Mom I'm 18, you will have to trust me sooner or later." I was about to drop to my knees and beg.

"Okay, you can go." she caved. "But when you get back here you better not be pregnant and you better be sober got it."

"No problem mom. I can do that." I said not like I was really ready to get into another relationship yet anyway. I had just broken up with my boyfriend of two years a week ago. He actually hurt me pretty bad. I hadn't told Travis about it cause he would go and start trouble, which was the last thing I needed. "Thank you, mom. Thank you. Thank you." I hugged her. "Callie, we're going on tour,"

Chapter 6

(Callie)

Graduation was so much fun. I was so happy that all of my family was there to support me including all of my extended family. Matt, Disashi, and Eric came too. Somehow it wasn't as sad as I thought it was going to be. I guess it's because I had something to look forward to now. Yes, Nonnie and I were leaving our home (high school) of the past four years behind and yes we were leaving some of our closest friends but we were leaving on an adventure, we had no reason to look back.

I couldn't sleep all that night in anticipation of leaving for Denver in the morning to kick off the tour. Finally I got out of bed at midnight to get a snack. I was spending the night at the McCoy's so that we could leave early for the airport. I had already spent a tearful evening with my parents. They cried over my graduation, they cried over me leaving for three months. I was glad it was over with though; in the morning I was out of here.

When I walked into the kitchen Travis was already there making himself a bowl of cereal., "Hey," I said trying not to startle him.

"Hey, you ok," He asked looking at me with a concern face. He was wearing a hole-y Michael Jordan T-shirt and a long pair of basketball shorts. His hair was a wild mass of curls and his eyes hung low with exhaustion.

"Yeah I'm fine just really excited," I replied. "I think you and I had the same idea," I said motioned toward his bowl of cereal. He took out a spoon and sat it and the bowl in front of me. Then he returned to the counter to make himself another bowl.

Finally, he sat down across from me at the table while we ate. "So what's been up with Nonnie lately," he asked in between spoonfuls.

"What do you mean," I replied innocently.

He raised an eyebrow. "You know what I mean," he said, "Something's been up. She's been trying to put on a brave face but I can tell something's wrong. And besides you guys are going away for three months, I would think Taylor would have been hanging around non-stop before she left."

I put down my spoon, and contemplated on how to proceed. "Ok look, you're right something is up. They broke. Well, he broke up with her."

"What!"

"Shhhh!" I hissed, "You'll wake everyone up. He broke up with her right before you came home. I don't know why exactly, I don't think he gave her an exact reason. Just that it was time for the both of them to move on. On the one hand I understand a long distance relationship while starting college is unrealistic, but it still hurt her, a lot she wasn't expecting it at all."

"Well, how come she didn't tell me," He asked looking hurt. Usually he would have been the first to know.

"She said she knew you would start something if she did. I think she just wants to forget about it. This trip will be good for her," I assured him.

"And you," he asked looking so deep into my eyes I thought he could read my mind.

"Honestly, Travie" I began. I took a deep breath, "I feel like things are a little weird between us now that you are back. I just miss the way we used to be." I let out the breath I was holding with a deep sigh.

"I've noticed that too and I promise we will work on it. After being with me non-stop for three months, you'll be dying to get away from me," he chuckled. "Trust me," he said once again looking deeply into my eyes, "This summer is going to change everything."