Chapter 29,30

Chapter 29

(Nonnie)

I woke up in Pete’s arms, to a loud knocking on the room door. Pete got up to see who it was. “Uh…,” he said, “It’s for you.” I turned over to see a very upset Callie standing in the doorway. She rushed in and fell into my arms. I tried to talk myself out of caring about what was wrong, but she was my best friend and I couldn’t.

“Babe you think we could have a minute,” I said to Pete. He was all too happy to leave the room. “What happened,” I said to Callie.

“I slept with Gabe and Travis and I broke up.”

My mouth fell open. She explained everything to me. I wanted to say I told you so, that this was why I didn’t want the two of them together in the first place, but I couldn’t do that to her now, instead I did what a best friend is supposed to do. “Is he crazy, you’re the best thing that has ever happened to him, and he’s just going to throw away all the trouble you guys went though to be together?”

“Non, you didn’t even want us to be together.”

“You and I both know that I was just being difficult,” I said lying to my best friend, I knew it would make her happy to know that eventually I would have gotten over it. “Besides it’s not like I have any control over either of you anyways.” She hugged me tighter. “He’s always screwed up the best relationships.”

She giggled a little. “I know, I… I just thought that because we knew each other so well that it would be different,” she said as I handed her a tissue.

“So do you want to try and work it out,” I asked hoping she would say no.

“I don’t think Travis wants to work it out, and I haven’t even seen Gabe today yet. I just sort of left him in bed alone.”

“What are you gonna do?”

“Well I have to talk to Gabe, then I’ll decide.”

“Until then you wanna go get some Starbuck's. I know there’s gotta be one nearby,” I said trying to cheer her up. “It’ll be my treat.” She just gave a sad little nod, while I got up to get dressed.

We walked into the common area to find Pete and Patrick sitting at the table. Pete stood up giving me a quick peck. “Is everything okay,” he asked.

“Yeah we’re going to go to Starbuck's. It might be a while before we are back, we kind of have a lot of catching up to do.” I moved in close for a hug so I could whisper the next part. “Try and stay away from Travis, I think he’s going to be in a really bad mood today,” I said. He just kissed my cheek and we left.

We arrived at Starbucks and ordered our drinks she got a Caramel Frappuccino and I got a Mocha Frappuccino. Then we both sat down at one of the tables. We sat there in silence for a while not quite knowing where to start.

“So…” I said, “How did you and Travis get started anyway because not too long ago you were calling him your big brother.” I said it in the least threatening voice I could muster so she would know that I was just curious and not trying to kick her while she was down.

“Well you remember that night you had to help Patrick work on those

tracks?”

That was the first night Pete and me spent together. “Uh… Yeah I remember,” I said with a smile.

“Yeah well, Travis and I started talking about how things were feeling a bit weird between the two of us when he came back home in between tours. Then one thing led to another and we…”