forty four.

The hand around his waist was impossibly tight, claws nearly digging into Taehyung's flesh from how hard Jeongguk was attempting to hold himself back.

The omega gulped as he watched Hoseok step foot into his own home where he and Jeongguk were currently pressed up against one another.

He could hear Jeongguk's heart beating against the palm of his hand where it was placed over his chest.

Hoseok's eyes darkened at the sight of another alpha in his home, gaze never wavering despite the obvious dominance omitting from Jeongguk.

It was clear that the alpha king was growing more and more upset with Hoseok's lack of respect in his presence, the other alpha male standing tall.

Taehyung could feel the tension in the room, suffocating him entirely as he slowly turned from Hoseok's accusing stare to Jeongguk's cold eyes.

"Can you please wait for me outside?" Taehyung found himself whispering against the safety of Jeongguk's arms, knowing he had to talk to Hoseok alone.

Jeongguk's eyes immediately left Hoseok's the second he registered Taehyung's voice, eyes instantly softening at the sight of the omega peering up at him.

It was almost like they were having an entire conversation with their eyes, Jeongguk clearly hesitant in his decision before he was exhaling heavily through his nose and removing his hand from Taehyung's waist.

He turned to stare at Hoseok who stood with his arms crossed over his chest, nose flaring at the scent of another alpha male in his home, not the least bit happy.

Without a word, Jeongguk was brushing past Hoseok and disappearing behind the front door with one last glance towards Taehyung.

"Hyung-" Taehyung began hesitantly when Hoseok didn't say anything, feeling ashamed of his actions.

"You come here crying inconsolably in the middle of the night, heart practically in pieces yet not even twenty four hours later you're back in his arms."

Taehyung could feel his heart sinking at Hoseok's words, catching the disappointment in his voice and making him feel like a horrible person.

He tried taking a small step closer to Hoseok but before he could even do so, the latter was raising his hand up to stop him.

"I-I had nowhere else to go- hyung please. I can't not forgive him." 

Taehyung felt the need to somehow explain to Hoseok that Jeongguk was his mate, there was no point in even attempting to ignore the mate bond.

It would only result in illness and possibly death the longer they lasted apart, staying mad at him would only prolong his suffering.

Hoseok was staring at him as if pained, making Taehyung's face slowly drop as the alpha shook his head slowly.

He could hear Hoseok's heavy breathing and the way he adverted his eyes ever so slightly towards the vase with the flowers.

"I was wrong then." He said finally, voice low as he clenched his jaw slightly.

Taehyung's brows furrowed lightly in confusion at his words, clearly not understanding where he was going.

"What?"

Hoseok's eyes snapped up to meet his, those familiar brown eyes now filled with something so incredibly vulnerable that it made Taehyung's breathing hitch.

"I was wrong to think that you could possibly desire me one day the way I desire you."

Taehyung instantly felt as if someone had dropped scorching hot water over his head, eyes widening as his lips parted in shock.