Chapter 11

Hiccup rushes straight to Gothi's hut, no knocking, he didn't have time for that. He barges through the door and lays you down, Gothi smacks him round the back of his head "what? This is an emergency!" He groans, rubbing the sore spot, she sighs "Hiccup? Saw ya run in here. What's going?" Gobber pauses at the doorway "oh!"
"Do you know anything about this?" Hiccup asks, stepping outside and taking the book and Crystal from Spear's tail and showing them to him, Gobber scratches his head "I thought that thing was only a legend."
"A legend?"
"The man who wrote it. Belcher. It was said he had an obsession with mind control. He spent his whole life discovering them and using them on everyone he saw." Gobber explains "after he died, people thought the book was destroyed...but that doesn't seem the case. Unless it's a copy."

Hiccup kneels beside you "well it's been copied perfectly." He gently pulls back one of your eyelids to reveal the purple glow "oh my Thor."
"Yeah, so we need to figure out what exactly it is and how to reverse it."
Gobber scans through the book "mmmm...nope, nuh uh...aha!" He lowers the book and points to the page "it must be this one. There's the crystal." Hiccup stares at the drawing then the crystal "says here that this Crystal, when paired up with the specific paragraph of words takes control of the targets mind. The person who says this speech while holding the crystal in front of the targets eyes has the full control of said target, they will do everything commanded of them. The crystal emits smoke which overtakes the mind by entering it via the eyes and blocks out their conscience so all they know is whatever they are told."

Hiccup gulps "does it say how to reverse it?" Gobber reads some more "I'm not seeing anything..."
Hiccup groans in frustration "there's must be something!"
"To be honest, lad. No one really knows about mind control."
"What about Gothi?"
"That's hypnosis, It's slightly different."
You shuffle and they snap their heads towards you watching you sit up. You sit there, motionless "(y/n)?"
Nothing.
"What's happening with her?" Hiccup asks, turning back to Gobber "is Alvin still alive?" Hiccup shakes his head "that might be the problem. According to this, only the person who casts the control...has the ability to actually control them. As horrible as this sounds, without Alvin. She's could just be a mindless empty shell, she won't attack, speak or show any type of emotion."
"Unless we break it."
"If we can."

Hiccup sighs and looks at you again. You hadn't moved, mindlessly starring in front of you. "Can you give us a minute?" He turns to Gobber and Gothi, they both leave.
He sits in front of you and takes your hand "hey, it's me." He whispers "I know you're in there." He picks the crystal up and holds it up to your face "come on, you can push it out, fight it. Don't let it take you. Please..." tears sting his eyes as he speaks.

Nothing was happening, he puts the crystal down and grabs the book, reading each page carefully. Then he notices a small print at the bottom reading: "note to self, if the person you're controlling is useless or you don't want them anymore, just hold the crystal to their eyes, say the above spell in reverse and kick them to the curb."

Hiccup places the book down and picks the crystal up again, he re reads the paragraph backwards in his head a few times to remember it then looks deep into your eyes and starts to say it out loud.
As he speaks, the crystal begins to glow, you sit up right and scream as purple smoke exits from your eyes and gets sucked back into the crystal, your eyes slowly fade from purple back to normal before they roll up and you fall forward, Hiccup quickly catches you. He watches the crystal slowly dim then drops it, holding onto you tightly.

"What's the screaming?" Gobber yells running back in, pausing as his eyes fall onto Hiccup clutching onto your limp body "I think...I think it's over." He whispers, stroking your hair "are you sure?" Gobber crouches beside him and pulls your eye open, seeing it was normal again "seems like it. You did it, lad!" He pats Hiccups back and takes you from his arms "let's get her home."

Your parents were overjoyed to see you and have you home, they follow Gobber upstairs and he lays you down into your bed, Hiccup stands in the doorway, your mum runs over to him hugging him tightly, your dad holding onto both of them, squeezing hard.
"You saved our daughter, thank you so much." You mum sobs "I'd do anything for her." Hiccup whispers.

Your head was pounding as you started to come around, you open your eyes and quickly realise you were in your room. You weren't sure how you got there, the last thing you remember was Alvin and some sort of crystal shining in your eyes.
You roll your head to the side and see a familiar mop of auburn hair, you look a bit further down and there was Hiccup. He was leaning over the bed, head resting in his folded arms, eyes closed, he looked exhausted. You were confused as to what had happened. Where was Alvin? How did you get here? You couldn't remember anything.

You weakly move your arm and rest it on his shoulder, shaking him gently, he groans and opens his eyes "you're awake!" He shuffles closer "what happened?" You ask quietly "Alvin used a mind control over you. He tried to use your ability to get the dragons. But don't worry, no one found out about that, Alvin's gone and you're safe here." He explains, taking your hands into his "I'm here."
You close your eyes again whispering "thank you...for rescuing me."
"Of course, I'll protect you always." He replies, pressing his forehead to yours as you quickly drift off.

———

"So...what are we going to to with this thing?" Snotlout asks, him, Hiccup and Gobber were stood around the crystal and book "I vote smash it up!" He yells, "burn the book and break the stone, sounds good."
Gobber strokes his moustache "Just getting it away from here is a good start." Hiccup growls "destroying it will guarantee no one ever gets their hands on it again."
"Good point." Snoutlout says "that thing looks pretty tough though, how do we break it?"
Gobber cuts in "what you two youngsters are forgetting is this ain't any old crystal. Smashing it up could do more bad than good."
"So what do we do?" Hiccup asks "if we do destroy it, it needs to be done carefully. At a distance and far away from here." Gobber replies "let's saddle up and do this."

They take the crystal and book and fly off to a distant island, Hiccup places the crystal down in an open area and walks back to where the others were waiting, he pats Toothless's side "alright bud, give it all you've got!" Toothless focuses hard and shoots a plasma blast at the crystal, everyone ducks and looks away as it lights up for a few seconds then shatters into tiny pieces "well that was easy!" Snotlout beams "now the book." Him and Gobber build a small fire and Hiccup puts it down on top "it's all yours Hookfang." He says, Hookfang blows his fire onto the book, setting it alight.
Hiccup stands over it, watching it shrivel and burn "good riddance." He whispers, Gobber stands beside him planting his hand on the young chiefs shoulder "it won't effect us ever again, lad."
Hiccup sighs and steps away "what's troubling you?" Gobber asks, Hiccup shrugs "nothing, just relieved this is finally put to rest."
"I hear ya. Now let's go home."

Hiccup looks at the spot again, tiny fragments of the crystal blowing away against the wind, some pieces connecting to the fire. Toothless walks over and rubs against Hiccup's side and purrs, Hiccup strokes his head "it's over, bud. For good."