Chapter 19

Sorry for the lack of an update, been a busy few weeks😶

————

You open your eyes, harsh wind hitting your shivering body, As your eyes come into focus you gaze at the black scales below you and realise it's Toothless, you were on his back.
You couldn't move due to being almost frozen, your wet hair and clothes sticking to your skin "we're almost home." A voice says, it was Hiccup.
You shakily lift your body up, pressing your back into Hiccup's chest, his arms instantly wrap around your waist "you're awake." He holds you tightly trying to share all his body heat with you, it wasn't really helping but he was trying his best with the lack of options he had.

You open your eyes again to see a fire calmly flowing in front of you, you sit up and stretch your aching bones then look around. Hiccup was sat on a nearby chair seemingly deep in thought, eyes fixated to one spot on the floor. You go to stand up but your legs were wobbly causing you fall back down, Hiccup snaps out of his thoughts rushes over to you helping you sit up, he puts the blanket back over your shoulders "how are you feeling?" He asks, you tuck your hair behind your ear "sore."
"I'm so sorry, I should have made sure you were right behind me." You cut him off "Hiccup, don't apologise. It was a manic situation, I just lost grip on Spear and...wait, where is he?" You look around the room again only seeing Toothless.
"We...don't know. No one has seen him since the volcano erupted." Hiccup says sadly "how long ago was that?" You ask, Hiccup thinks for a moment "yesterday afternoon, Toothless found you in the water and we brought you home, Spear was nowhere to be seen. The gang looked for him but he must have fled somewhere."
"He was pretty scared." You whisper, looking down at the floor sadly, Hiccup rests his finger under your chin gently lifting your head "he'll be okay, he will find his way home."

You spent the rest of the evening and night sat in front of the fire, thinking of all the possible places Spear could have gone too. Worry was filling your mind at the possibility he was injured. You couldn't just sit here and wonder, you had to find him.
You grab extra layers of clothing and your essentials bag, wrap yourself up and head outside.
You close your door quietly and start walking, you weren't exactly sure where you were going. A call alerts you and you turn to see Toothless running over "hey there." You greet him, scratching behind his ear earning a happy coo "you're up early." You chuckle, he smiles "I'm going to find Spear, he could be hurt." Toothless's pupils dilate as he looks at you sadly "I know." You whisper, resting your hand against his snout. He leans back and turns slightly, gesturing you to get on his back "I can't just ride you! Hiccup would go insane." You frown, Toothless rolls his eyes and gently grabs your collar lifting you off the floor and onto the saddle "if I get in trouble for this, you better take full responsibility." You warn, looking down at him to which he smiles and takes off.

The sun was just starting to appear above the ocean as the two of you glided close to the gentle waves, the sky slowly filling with orange pigment. Toothless sniffs the air every few seconds in hope to pick up Spear's scent, he calls out to him a few times but there was no response.
He flies closer to the island where the now calm volcano was stood. Most of the greenery was gone, the whole island shape was different. A faint line of steam still rising from the opening was the only visible life on the island now.
"Can you sense anything?" You ask, Toothless sniffs again then calls, you wait in silence for a moment, watching his ears slightly twitch. You couldn't hear anything but he catches onto something and flies ahead. You pass the island and head towards a nearby one and he lands down. You jump off and look around.
Toothless calls again and you shout Spear's name.
Nearby bushes start rustling, Toothless steps in front of you on guard. A figure emerges, it was Spear.
His eyes widen as they lock onto you, you sprint over engulfing him in a tight hug, sobbing into his shoulder, glad he was okay. "I was so worried about you!" You sniff, he purrs happily against you "you aren't hurt are you?" You check his body, noticing one of his front arms had a cut along it "oh Spear." You place your bag on the floor and gently tend to his wound. It had stopped bleeding but he had a lot of dried blood that was a bit difficult to remove. You wash the cut and bandage it gently "better?" You smile, he nods "let's go home. You must be hungry and tired. I've got to ride on Toothless, stay close. Okay?"

You land outside your house and jump off patting Toothless's side "(y/n)!" You freeze and slowly turn on your heel "there you are! And toothless!"
Hiccup walks over looking slightly mad "Hiccup, I'm sorry. But I can explain." You hold your hands out in front of you "I know you don't like people riding Toothless without your knowing and I wasn't planning it but." You pause as he grabs you into a hug "you worried me." He whispers pulling back "I'm sorry, I had to find Spear, I was going to go to the forest to look for him but I ran into Toothless and he insisted taking me a bit further to look. It wasn't my intention to go off with him. But he found Spear." You explain, looking at your dragon and smiling, Hiccup chuckles softly "I don't mind you riding him, he trusts you as do I. I'll admit, I was concerned when I couldn't find him or you, but you almost froze to death. Going out flying really isn't the best thing." He crosses his arms "I know, I know. But look, I'm wrapped up extra warm."
He bites back and a smile and shakes his head "you're something else." You stick your tongue out at him "well, if you'll excuse us. I have to feed Spear and let him have a good rest. And I'm sure you've got a lot of chiefing to do." You kiss Hiccups cheek then turn back around and guide Spear inside.

After feeding Spear he curls up in front of the fire and quickly falls asleep. You sit with him for a while, stroking his scales, just glad he was home and safe.
You felt a bit groggy yourself but figured it was from not sleeping the night before. But you didn't want to sleep yet.
You exit your house and head towards the great hall where people were gathering for lunch. Astrid waves you over to the table as soon as you enter. She greets you with a wide smile "heard you found Spear this morning, how is he?"
"He's alright, resting."
"What about you?"
"I'm alright. Just a bit stiff." You smile slightly, but your hands were still sore from sliding down the volcano edge.

Hiccup joins the group a short while later, sitting next to you, looking a bit spaced out "you alright?" You ask "m'good. Been an interesting morning. People really aren't using common sense today." He grumbles and you chuckle. He sighs softly as his eyes close, resting his elbows onto the table and burying his head into his hands, as his head falls his fingers slowly slide up into his hair which tangles around his digits and he face plants the table, a low groan echoing from his throat. You pat his thigh and pick up your spoon, gently blowing on the soup and taking a small sip.
You were buzzing, unsure of how long you had been sat listening to the twins nonsense talk which was often cut off by Snotlout's protests. Hiccup was only half listening, he seemed like he needed a breather.

You rest your hand on his leg again and project a very gentle force. He doesn't flinch, he glances at you and smiles, giving you a look resting his hand on top of yours. Astrid watches the two of you.
You beam and stand up "I'm going to check on Spear, see you guys later." You glance at Hiccup again, smirking slightly then swiftly turn on your heel and head out.
You hear footsteps close behind, just before you reach the door arms wrap around your waist halting you in your tracks "so, where are we going?" Hiccup's whispers, you giggle and push him off "wherever the wind takes us."
He leans closer and whispers "sounds good to me."

"Alright, let's do this again...you ready?" Hiccup calls, you give him a thumbs up and lock your eyes onto Toothless, he grabs onto a large Boulder flinging it towards you, you focus your energy into your hands, holding them up then shooting at the Boulder shattering it into tiny pieces "yeah!" Hiccup cheers, Toothless runs over and licks up the side of your face "that was a big one, you're getting better every time!" Hiccup praises approaching you. "Thanks, but..." you pause.
"But?"
"This practise has been great and all...but I don't think my aim is what needs focusing on." He tilts his head slightly, unsure of what you meant "I mean my ability to control my force, like when I get angry or upset, it is how you found out."
"Ohhhhh."
Hiccup Hmmms to himself "it's not something you can really practise, more of you need to believe you can control it." He says, you sigh and he steps closer, brushing your cheek with his fingertips "you can do it...but there is something I wanted to talk to you about." His face falls into seriousness. You gulp as his palm rests against your burning skin and his eyes stare deeply into yours.

"Do you think it's time our friends knew?"

————

I'm accepting chapter suggestions on how you guys would like future chapters to go! submit them in the comments 😌