Chapter 25

"It's around here somewhere." Tuffnut whispers, squinting his eyes as he looks amongst all the bushes and trees, taking huge slow steps. Ruffnut mirroring him behind. Snotlout sighs over dramatically "this is such a waste of a perfectly good day!"
"Keep your voice down, idiot. Or you'll scare it off." Ruffnut sneers, Snotlout laughs out loud "scare off what? A gust of wind? Oh you mean this mysterious beast you claim to have seen, which doesn't exist!"
"Snotlout, just let them get on with it." Hiccup says shaking his head "go occupy yourself like Fishlegs is doing."

Snotlout grumbles his usual inaudible sulking and wonders off, Hookfang following close behind. "You'd think he'd have run out of complaints by now, the amount that fly out of his mouth." Astrid mumbles, you nod a silent agreement.
"Okay!" Hiccup claps his hands together walking towards the twins "so, Ruff and Tuff-"
"Shhh!" Tuffnut cuts him off, Hiccup raises his arms in surrender while making a swift u-turn in the opposite direction muttering to himself something about agreeing with Snotlout. You chuckle quietly climbing onto Spear and stretch "shall we go find some fish for you, bud?" You ask Spear, scratching his chin to which he coos happily. "Alright, but we can't stray too far."
He looks at the twins and flaps his wings with extra force, knocking them over with the wind then quickly takes off.

You land at a nearby stream where Fishlegs was sat writing in his journal. Meatlug rolling in the grass next to him.
"Find anything?" You ask making Fishlegs jump "ahh!"
"Sorry! Didn't mean to scare you." You chuckle sitting next to him "the twins are still looking for this beast thing."
"Of course they are." Fishlegs says "they're so convinced they've found something big. It's most likely a monstrous Nightmare."
You dip your fingers into the stream, the cool water rushing against your fingers. Spear, a bit further up dives his whole head into the water, looking for fish.

"Hey...uhm. I don't mean to pry. But...how are you doing? With...uh...y'know." Fishlegs asks quietly. It had been almost two weeks since your mothers passing. It was still raw but you were feeling a bit better every day. You'd found that keeping busy helped "you're not prying at all. I'm doing good. Thank you for your concern." You smile at him and he returns it "I'm so glad! I can't imagine what you've been through."
You pat his shoulder "getting through it one day at a time."

"Those twins are unbelievable!" A voice complains from behind, you look over your shoulder "wow, Hiccup. from that tone of whining I thought you were Snotlout for a second there." You tease, he stops dead in his tracks "ouch, that's insulting."

You laugh, stand up and walk towards him "just kidding, relax. You're nothing like him." Relief flushes across his face, his shoulders slumping as he exhales "minus your hair, now that is pretty similar." You suddenly add on, his mouth falls open and his body stiffens, you bolt past him into the forest, his relief instantly swaps to disbelief "you'll catch flies!" Fishlegs calls, Hiccup quickly closes his mouth.
"Got yourself a right cheeky one ain't ya?" Fishlegs chuckles.

You head back towards where you left the twins and find them in a pile on the floor, wrapped up in ropes and netting, Astrid stood next to them rubbing her temples "I'm not going to ask." You say, Hiccup paces up behind you "(y/n)! take what you said back! There's no way I'm...uhhh?" He pauses as his eyes fall onto the twins.
"Seriously, don't ask." Astrid says, the twins squirm to try and get out of their mess. Hiccup cuts them free then dusts his knees off "I think that's our cue to head back."

"So tell me again. How on earth did the two of you end up wrapped up in your own trap?" Fishlegs asks with amusement, Ruffnut sticks her tongue out at him "we saw it, and got jumbled up.  Nothing more to say." She defends, Astrid flies up beside the twins "you literally saw a Gronkle."
"A big one! But we know that beast is still out there!" Tuffnut shouts.
You divert your attention to Hiccup, noticing he was rubbing his forehead, looking agitated "you alright?" You call to him. He flinches and lowers his hand "all good! Just a slight headache!" He beams an over the top smile, you which you respond with an unconvinced look.