Chapter 37

"Did you see anything that can identity who these men were, or who they're working for?" Valka asks, you shake your head "I was too focused on setting Meatlug free."
She sits back in her chair "maybe they didn't want anyone to know."
"That doesn't sound very trapper like to me." Gobber says as he walks past "trappers love showing off their...well trappiness. Remember when Eret here boasted about working for you know who, eh?" He nudges Eret who stays quiet, you'd noticed he hadn't said much today. It was strange to you but at least Hiccup was getting some breathing space.

Speaking of Hiccup, you hadn't seen him since this morning. He'd woken up in an extremely good mood, re wrapped your bite marks, made sure you were all good and headed out. Probably to go back to his house and change his clothes. Your arm was sore today, you couldn't really lift it. But you'd had injuries far worse than this, it wasn't going to get in the way .

In the corner of your eye, you spot him entering the great hall, gazing around. Small smile carved onto his lips, you beam internally, he was so chirpy today, it was cute.
Eret clears his throat, drawing your attention back to him and Valka "we will have watchmen scouting further out, these hunters may come back. The fact they got to Berk without anyone spotting them is a cause for concern." She says, you nod in agreement, she turns to Eret "Eret, you will lead the watchers with Astrid this afternoon. We need to be vigilant."
"Don't worry, Valka. I know how these hunters work. They won't get past us." He salutes her and walks away to the doors, calling for Skullcrusher.

You look down and fiddle with your fingers, Valka turns to you "how are you feeling?"
"Hm?" You look up, she smiles "your arm?"
"Oh, it's fine thank you, a bit sore but I'll survive."
"What about your memories?"
You shrug slightly "they've...mostly returned, I think. There's still some things Hiccup tells me which I don't recall but, every day is progress."

She leans forward and rubs your arm reassuringly "I couldn't agree more."
Hiccup approaches from behind and places his hands on your shoulders then swoops down to kiss your cheek "afternoon, ladies!" He flops down on the chair next to you "what did I miss?"
"Well, we are going to have patrols fly further out than normal as a precaution." Valka starts explaining "the hunters you fought off yesterday may have not gone far, they could come back."
Hiccup nods as he listens "good plan, we can't underestimate them. They could have all kinds of tricks up their sleeves."

Valka scans Hiccup's map "this map is so impressive, you've seen so many new places." She runs her finger across the paper "these are the closes islands to ours. I'm thinking we should sneak around there and see if there is any evidence or trace of anyone there."
"I volunteer." You say while cracking your knuckles "I've got some unfinished business with them."
Hiccup was hesitant, while you were tough and knew what you were doing that didn't shadow his protective side.

————

"Son of Oden." You mutter, rolling your shoulder back, trying to release the tension built up in your arm which was throbbing more intensely. It felt like it was getting more stiff by the minute. But that wasn't going to stop you, no sir.
You whistle to Spear below you and he lifts his tail, you take out a cloth and wet it with a varnish and start wiping his three stingers, removing the scuffs making them shine. "Beautiful" you beam, Spear makes a noise of agreement and moves his tail forward and examines his now shiny stingers, looking very pleased.

"Gotta make them eye catching. Y'know." You say scratching the top of his head to which he purrs "there might not even be any trappers still around." A voice says, you turn your head to see Hiccup and Toothless landing beside you, he adjusts his sleeve "probably scared them off yesterday."
"That's a possibility, but you know how these trolls function. They can't take a hint." You reply, he pauses "Trolls?"
"Yeah, ugly dumb creatures."
He stifles a laugh "that's one way to describe them."
"The trolls or the trappers?" You raise an eyebrow, giving him a mischievous look. He rolls his eyes with a smile "both." He moves his helmet to his lap "Dad used to take me fishing when I was younger but me being the odd child I was, I wanted to go hunting for trolls. He thought I was mad."