Chapter 14

Gregory fiddles with his sleeves anxiously as his eyes follow the chief who was pacing back and forth. The room was silent aside from the sounds of footsteps and clicks of the prosthetic. Hiccup pauses, turns to the young man then clears his throat "so, just to be clear. You would like to stay here for a bit longer?"
Gregory nods "only if it's okay with you, of course."
Hiccup eyes him up for a few seconds before nodding "I see no problem with it."
Gregory jumps up "great! We've never had dragons where I'm from, I'd love to see some!"
"Sure, I'll ask Fishlegs to show you around, he's very knowledgeable." Hiccup says, sitting down at his desk and begins writing.
Gregory stares at him for a moment "uhm, chief?"
Hiccup looks up "please, call me Hiccup."
"Sorry, Hiccup..uh...thank you."
Hiccup smiles slightly and nods again, then turns his attention back to his paper.

Gregory steps out of the building and looks around, he wanted to find you, not Fishlegs. But he had no idea where you could possibly be.
He wonders through the market, eyeing up every person but couldn't see you anywhere.
You were up in the skies, flying Toothless as Hiccup was busy. You'd gotten the hang of controlling Toothless's tail pretty quickly. He coos happily as he slows down and flies gently along the clouds, Spear flying happily beside you.
With Hiccup being the chief, he wasn't able to fly Toothless as often as he used too. Every day was different. Some days he'd be tied up for almost the whole day with meetings and orders, whereas others you'd see him a lot, wondering around or flying Toothless, any chance he had to go flying, he'd take it.

today so far seemed like he was going to be busy, you didn't mind though. A chiefs gotta do what a chiefs gotta do.
You land outside the great hall, as soon as you jump off Toothless he bundles into the great hall. You follow shaking your head "Toothless, down! Ahhh! Careful!"
You snigger to yourself and walk over to Hiccup who was trying to push Toothless off him.
"How's it going?" You ask, Hiccup finally pushes his dragon off and huffs "not too bad. I'm actually nearly done with all this....stuff?" He replies furrowing his eyebrows, you chuckle and sit next to him, Spear lays down by your feet, resting his head on your lap, you slowly stroke him. "I'm trying to adjust to the chief role but..." Hiccup pauses "it's a large and sudden responsibility. I know your father was planning to retire anyway but the circumstance wasn't....great." You say, he sighs and rubs his left eye "you can say that again."
"You're doing good though!" You beam "nothing is too big a challenge for the fearless Hiccup!"
He lets out a small laugh "I'm not that fearless."
"Uh, yeah you are. Let's see...defending Toothless against your own father, taking on the Red death, many enemies in between that and defeating Drago...need I go on?"
"Alright, alright." He gazes at you and smiles "you look tired." You say, cupping his cheek "I'm fine, sitting around too long probably, I just need some air." He stands up and the two of you walk outside, dragons close behind.

Hiccup was the worst liar ever, you could see it plastered all over his face, his eyes were drooping and he wasn't all with it, his focus was wobbly. You head off to Gothi's hut while he goes to Gobber's shop.
"Hiccup, why don't you go have a rest? We are all fine here." Valka suggests, placing a saddle onto a table "ay, she's right lad. You look like you need it." Gobber adds in, Hiccup frowns at him "gee, thanks."
"You know what I mean."
"I need to re paint Toothless's tail, the red has faded a bit." Hiccup says, taking a seat on his usual stool and un clipping the tail then resting it on his knee, Valka shakes her head but doesn't argue "if you say so."

An hour passes and you were finished for the day, you fancied a trip somewhere to practise your ability, you wanted to ask Hiccup if he wanted to come along but judging from how tired he looked earlier, he probably wasn't up for it.
Just as you were about to take off, a voice calls for you "oh....hi Gregory."
"Hey you! Been looking for you all day!" Ok, weird.
"What's up?" You ask, before he could answer Fishlegs jumps in "I've been giving Gregory here a full detailed lesson on dragons!" He beams happily.
"Yeah." Gregory steps in front of him "but anyway, let's all do something together!"