Chapter 12

Something wasn't right with you. At least that's what people were thinking. You had been quiet and distant since the mind control was lifted from you two days ago. Zoning out frequently when in conversation, you weren't quite with it still. Gobber had suggested that maybe your mentality needed some time to sort itself out, mind control was still a mystery so no one knew the after effects. To him, you seemed lost.

Hiccup stops walking and looks up at Gothi's hut, no doubt you were up there working with her, Spear was sat outside patiently waiting for you. Toothless nudges Hiccup's side and coos, Hiccup scratches behind his ears and sighs.
You were almost done with Gothi, mixing up one final medicine and placing it in the bottle. Gothi looks at it then grabs some berries handing them to you "how did I forget those?" You frown, she gives you a sympathetic look and you sigh. She knew you were a bit forgetful at the moment, but she didn't know if it was a temporary thing or not.
You pick up your bags and walk outside to Spear, he nuzzles against you and purrs.

"Hey." A voice says, you look over and see Hiccup "hey." You whisper "are youuuu...feeling...okay?" He asks, stepping closer. You don't say anything.
"Do you need to be alone?"
"I...I don't know." You sigh, he holds you into a tight hug and whispers "it's okay."
You clutch the back of his shirt tightly.
"You hungry?" He asks, face nuzzled into your hair.
"No..."
"Tired?"
"No..."
He lets you go, gazing at you with concern "I'll be fine." You say, trying to sound convincing but you could tell from his face, he wasn't so sure. You sigh, he was worried and you couldn't lie to him "I'm just struggling to focus at the moment, like engaging in conversation, making medicines. I can't seem to do anything."
"Well...Uhm...you were under a mind control for almost two days, and now it's gone...maybe your mind needs some time to recover, the control probably put a lot of stress on it." He suggests, unsure of his wording "I guess." You reply, looking down at the floor.
Hiccup rubs his arm nervously, unsure on what to say. You clearly weren't yourself, you almost looked defeated, the crystal had drained you mentally and you were stuck in this loophole of emptiness.

He sucks in a deep breath and takes your hands "look at me." You slowly lift your head "you'll get past this...I think maybe you just need to rest." He says, you open your mouth to reply but stop, seeing the concern on his face. He was right.
You hadn't slept properly last night but you force convinced yourself you were fine, then Hiccup says otherwise and something about him makes you crack. Maybe because he wasn't in denial all the time like you were.
You furrow your eyebrows at your thoughts, Hiccup notices and chuckles "thought of something interesting?"
You snap out of your moment "hm? No, no! Nothing interesting."
"In that case, home!" He takes your hand and leads you down the stairs and walks you to your house. You pause at the front door and turn to him, he squeezes your hand tighter "make sure you get some sleep, okay?"
"Okay."
"What's wrong?" He asks, you let out a shaky sigh "it's nothing."
"It's clearly something, come on. You can tell me."
You bite your lip and step closer, holding him in a hug "I didn't sleep last night. I don't think I will tonight either." You whisper, he strokes your hair "what about the herb necklace?"
"Only makes me drowsy. It's not working like it normally would."
He pulls back and stares at you, trying to figure out a solution "warm milk?"
"Nope. Trust me, I've tried everything I know."

He scratches the back of his head "how about, we sit in front of the fire and relax, that might help?"
You nod and open the door, Toothless and Spear following close behind.
Hiccup lights the fire and sits beside you, draping a fur blanket over you both, you curl into his side as he holds you.
It didn't take long for your eyelids to give in and close, you slump against Hiccup's side, he smiles, running his fingers through your hair. Just then, your dad walks in, looks at you and sighs in relief "finally."

"She was up all of last night, could hear her walking around and leaving at god knows what time!"
He carefully picks you up and looks at Hiccup "are you magical?"
Hiccup chuckles quietly "not at all."
"She trusts you, that's very obvious." He walks upstairs, puts you into your bed and comes back down "actually, are you busy?" He asks, Hiccup gulps "uhm, no."
"Good, I'd like to have a little chat...man to man."

———

You open your eyes, roll onto your back and stretch, that sleep was refreshing. You actually felt like you had energy. You sit up and look around, you were alone, you get up and dressed then head downstairs to your parents who were sitting at the table.
"Morning." Your mum greets, you sit with them "feeling better?" She asks "actually am, kind of energised." You reply "that's so good to hear!" She chirps
"When did Hiccup leave?" You ask "after I put you to bed." Your dad replies, you raise an eyebrow "you didn't scare him did you?"
"Never."
"Dad..."
"What? we had a man to man chat, that's all."
"That's all?!"
"Before you bite my head off, I have rights. He is dating you, my only daughter! Just wanted to get to know the lad is all." Your dad defends, your mum laughing beside him, you roll your eyes and stand up "see you later. Love you both!" You call as you close the front door.

You walk down to the arena, it was empty so you decide to practise your sword fighting. After almost an hour, the shield you were swiping at was almost completely shredded up "releasing some anger?" A voice asks, you spin around and see Astrid smirking, holding her axe over her shoulder "just imaging this shield is a dragon hunter." You reply, she walk over, swings her axe, slicing another shield clean in half, your eyes widen "oh my, how sharp is that thing?"
She chuckles "no sharper than yours I'd imagine."
"It's not mine, I just found it here."
"That explains it. Hold on." She walks over to the weapons box and rummages around for a few seconds then pulls a different sword "I kept this one hidden at the bottom of the box, it's the sharpest one. I checked all of them and when I tested this one and found it to be the sharpest, I made sure no one else got their hands on it during training." She says handing it to you "wow. Thanks." You gasp "no biggie. Gobber always uses the bluntest swords, especially for the newbies. Including us back when we were first training." She explains.
"huh, I remember watching those with Gothi. She made the final decision about who would kill the dragon. I was never keen on killing a dragon so I always stayed back." You say, Astrid chuckles "neither was Hiccup. He was the last person anyone expected to show up for the first lesson."

The two of you talk for a while longer before you say goodbye and walk to a cliff at the edge of the village starring out at the afternoon sun, the soft wind brushes through your hair and warm sun rays hit your skin.
You sit down dangling your feet over the edge of the cliff, you weren't sure where Spear was, probably with Meatlug. Those two were best friends.
"Gorgeous view isn't it?" A voice says.
"It is." You reply, Hiccup plops down beside you "my dad once stood here with me when I was little, he spoke about a place he called the home of the dragons." He says "he wanted to find it, close it up so Vikings and dragons...would fight no more."
You watch his face fall as he spoke "I never actually told you how sorry I am...for what happened." You say, she smiles and whispers a a soft "thank you."
You place your hand on top of his and lean into his side, leaning your head on his shoulder, he lets out a content sigh and leans closer to you. After a few seconds you lift your head and look at him, he turns his head to you still smiling he lifts his arm and you shuffle up even closer to him with his arm wrapped firmly around your shoulder, you look up and kiss his chin, he laughs lightly and leans down pressing his lips to yours.

Valka notices you both from a distance, she watches as Hiccup pulls away slightly then rests the palm of his hand on your cheek, pressing your foreheads together, his thumb slowly stroking your skin, your hand holding onto his arm.
Eret walks up beside her, his eyes falling onto you both "told you he had a crush." He chuckles, Valka smiles "yes, i've definitely been seeing it more."
Eret pats her shoulder "although, it's more than a crush now."
Valka watches as Hiccup stands then helps you up and wraps his arms around you into a tight hug, she smiles.

"I'd like to get to know her more."

————

Un eventful chapter, heh sorry.

I'm open for any events that you guys would want to happen within this story :) comment suggestions down below and I can add them in ☺️