Chapter Twenty-Seven

(Lauren’s POV)

Looking at myself in the mirror, I readjusted the wig I had on my head, making sure it was in it’s proper place before giving my make up a once over and taking a deep breath.  I was currently hiding away in the back of the club in one of their “green rooms,” usually used for performers, trying to prepare myself for what tonight might bring me.

The music was already blaring from the speakers, and from what I could see from the back, the club looked to be pretty full of people, dressed in elaborate outfits and dancing.  Men in tight spandex outfits, amazing body paint, and top hats to match (an outfit specifically chosen by Cassie) were making their rounds offering glasses of different Halloween cocktail drinks to the crowd.  The walls were covered in classic movie posters, and streams of film roles decorating the ceiling.

Making my way out of hiding and onto the floor, I could see the red carpet guests were posing on before entering while paparazzi snapped photos of everyone.  If there was one thing Cassie was known for, it was for parties.  Getting into one of these events meant you could be the talk of the town by the next morning, and in this city, that wasn’t something people took lightly.

“LOZ!” I heard Cassie shriek from the bar, clearly already a few drinks ahead of everyone else in attendance.  She motioned for me to come over to her, smiling wide as she wrapped me into a tight hug, swaying to the music.  “Or should I call you Rapunzel?”  Stepping back, she took in my appearance, giving me a once over before nodding in approval.  “You look like you came right out of Disney World.”

“So do you!” I grinned as she gave me a twirl in her Pocahontas outfit.  It was perfect, right down to the red tattoo on her arm.

“But please tell me you’re prepared to take off that long dress and get onto the dance floor with me later,” she said, giving me a pleading look.

Giving her a quick nod, I pulled at the side of my skirt making it come undone and reveal a shorter skirt underneath.  “You think I would come to one of your parties, unprepared?  I have had years of practice,” I scoffed at her, flipping my long wig over my shoulder.  She gave me a playful shove as someone we used to go to high school with walked by, giving us a brief hello before running off.

Gesturing towards one of the various men in top hats, she grabbed two drinks and handed me one, taking no time in downing her own.  “I’m so nervous,” she sighed, leaning against the bar dramatically.

I gave her an understanding look before copying her actions and drinking down my own drink.  “I feel you.”  We stood in silence for a few seconds, looking around the crowded club, before turning back to each other with a questioning expression.

“Where’s Ben?” We spoke at the same time, both scanning the mass of people for our best friend.

After a moment, we were able to find him in the middle of the dance floor, surrounded by a crowd of onlookers.  Typical.

Grabbing Cassie’s hand we weaved into the crowd towards our dancing friend as the music changed from a club song to the footloose theme song, causing a roar to erupt from the partygoers.  “BENJAMIN!” I yelled over the music, letting go of Cassie’s hand.

He bobbed to the music, making his way over to me, giving me the ‘come here’ gesture with his finger, which I happily obliged to.  “Remember the scene where Ren and Willard do their dance in the beginning of this song?” He grinned, pulling me into his side.

“Of course,” I grinned, remembering the times we spent trying to perfectly execute that routine.

“Let’s daaaance!” he yelled, mocking the movie, before breaking off into the dance.