Chapter Twenty-Four

(Lauren’s POV)

            I pulled my sweater closer to my body as the cold October air blew through the crowded streets; many people rushing back to their jobs or home. I was on my way to Cassie’s to help plan her annual Halloween party, otherwise know as the biggest party of the year. Walking up to her building, I smiled, waving at Bill the doorman, someone I had grown quite fond of over the years.

            “Good afternoon, Ms. Chandler” He greeted me, keeping his professional façade, despite how close we actually were.

            “Good afternoon, Bill! How are you today? How are the kids?” I mimicked his formal speech, smiling at him as I broke character.

            “Fair enough, Claire just got engaged!” I gasped, smiling even wider.

            “Congrats! They grow up so fast, don’t they!” I commented, making the both of us laugh, seeing as his oldest daughter was eight years older than me. “So, Cassie is upstairs, right?” I asked after a few minutes of effortless banter.

            “Yes, but, I wasn’t expecting her to have another guest today? Not that it’s never a pleasure to see you, of course.” I threw a confused look his way. Another guest? Who the hell is here… “Feel free to head up.”

            “Yea, thanks, it was great seeing you!”

            “Always a pleasure.” With a final wave, I walked through the door and towards the elevator, hitting the button for the top floor. Digging through my bag, I tried to find my phone, wanting to text Cassie and find out who was over. By the time I found it and pulled it out, the elevator had stopped, opening straight into Cassie’s home.

            “LAUREN! FINALLY, YOU WERE TAKING FOREVER!” I could hear being yelled from the kitchen, a small giggle escaping her along with some mumbled speech from, obviously, the other person with her.

            Stepping out of the elevator, I made my way through the sitting area, the living room and eventually reaching the kitchen, where Cassie was leaning against the breakfast bar, laughing with none other than Calum. I should have known. I thought, bringing myself over and plopping my bag on the counter.

            “Sorry, I was busy talking to Bill. Hey, Calum. Claire is engaged?!”

            “I KNOW RIGHT?! It’s about time too, that biological clock of hers is gonna start ticking soon…” She commented, taking a sip from the mug in front of her. I shook my head at her ridiculous comment, taking a seat next to Calum.

            “So, Halloween?” She perked up right away throwing her hands in the air, and grabbing some papers from the counter that had multiple scribbles over them.

            “Right, so, I was thinking... Obviously a club, then there would be these, like, chandelier-disco balls, strobe lights, fog machines, waiters in top hats, creepy makeup and speedos—“ Calum coughed from next to me, giving Cassie the ‘what about me?’ look, “Please, Cal, they’re for the guests. You know I’ll have my eyes on you.” She winked at him before turning back to me, looking for approval.