Chapter Thirty-Four

(Lauren’s POV)

Thanksgiving. Quite possibly the worst day of the year. Sure, for some people, it’s a great day. Food, family, reunions; But that’s for people who actually cared about that stuff.

            “Lauren, we’re leaving!” My father shouted from the bottom of the stairs, breaking me out of my internal monologue. Sighing, I put the finishing touches on my hair, I made my way out of my room and down the stairs.

            “What was taking you so long, dear? We’re going to be late.” My mother commented the moment I reached the front door, looking me up and down, evaluating my outfit silently.

            “Happy Thanksgiving to you to mother,” I mumbled, walking through the door and to the town car, pulling out my phone, avoiding any contact with my mother that wasn’t necessary.

            Lauren:  Red Alert: My mother has had an extra helping of bitch flakes today. Tread lightly.

            Bae: I’m wearing my floaties today, don’t worry!

            Ashton: … I’ve decided to stay home today. Have fun!

            Bae: Like hell you are! I will drag you here by your toes if I have to.

            Lauren: Ashton, it’s best not to fight this. I’ll protect you.

            I laughed as the car made its way through the streets, bringing us to Cassie’s building, taking slightly longer than usual due to the usual holiday traffic jams. It was quiet in the car, the only sounds being the honks from the cars outside and the tapping of fingers against screens inside.

            Soon enough, we made it to the building and I was out of the car and running though the lobby.

            “Happy thanksgiving, Bill!” I yelled, waving at my favorite doorman from across the lobby, making my way to the elevators as fast as I could. Turning around, I wasn’t surprised to see, or not see, my parents behind me knowing fully well they would be in the car typing away on whatever business they were taking care of on their phones. Rolling my eyes, I pressed the button for the top floor and began my assent.

            After a minute, the elevator came to a stop, the doors opening right in front of Cassie’s front door. Taking the few steps forward, I knocked on the door instead of walking straight in, knowing Cassie liked to greet her guests on occasions like this. Looking down, my phone buzzed in my hand indicating a text from Ashton. Before I could open my phone, I was engulfed in a tight hug, being lifted into the air easily.

            “ALEX!” I exclaimed, very excited to see Cassie’s older brother holding my up, “How are you?!”

            “Better now that you’re here! What about you short stack, how’s life? I hear you’ve got a boyfriend now,” Setting me down, Alex set a hand on my head, messing up my hair slightly before leading me into the room.

            “I do and I’m sure Cassie’s told you every detail she knows of that,” I laughed, throwing my arm around his waist, walking into the finely set dining room.

            “That and more. Why do we even bother with formalities when we’ve got Cassie around?” Shrugging, I shot a smile his way, “So, have you talked to Noelle at all?” he asked in a hushed tone, as if he didn’t mean to ask that question at all.